Icons Are Being Painted in a Hartford Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      http://blogs.courant.com/itowns_hfd/2008/10/icons-are-being-painted-in-a-h.html

      Icons Are Being Painted in a Hartford Church
      By
      Ken Byron

      on October 30, 2008 1:17 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
      The All Saints Orthodox Church on Scarborough Street was built in
      1964 but more than 40 years later it is still a work in progress. For
      the past couple of days a Russian artist well-known for painting
      religious icons has been at work in the church painting icons. Victor
      Kazanin, who now lives in California, first started work on the
      church 12 years ago. I did a little research on-line about Russian
      Orthodox churches and one of the things I learned was that their
      interiors are often richly decorated and that icons are an important
      part of that. But icons also cost money and so completing the work
      has taken a while. Kazanin was brought back when enough parishioners
      donated money for the latest round of painting, this time a series
      portraying church saints.

      "This is a very unusual church, it has very warm parishioners,"
      Kazanin said. "I love this church."

      One of those parishioners is George Bugai, who donated another series
      of icons that also depict Orthodox church saints. Kazanin has done
      those already and Bugai said he donated them in memory of his wife,
      who died in 2007. .

      "She loved the church very much and I was hoping to get the icons
      done before she passed but it didn't happen," Bugai said. He has
      given Kazanin a place to stay while he's working at the church was
      watched the artist at work on Thursday.

      Here are a few views of Kazanin at work on Thursday. In this picture,
      Kazanin is on the scaffold at work. Bugai is sitting on one of the
      front pews looking on.

      If you want to see these icons up close you can next weekend. The
      church is letting the public view the work as part of its two-day
      Russian Tea Room and Bazaar Nov. 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Nov. 9
      from noon to 3 p.m. The church is having a bunch of other activities
      those days, including food, crafts, a Russian marketplace, children's
      games and a raffle. All Saints Orthodox Church is at 205 Scarborough
      St. in Hartford.