Immigrants from Russia have insufficient Orthodox churches in Germany

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2008
      http://interfaxreli.customers.ru/?act=news&div=5240

      08 October 2008, 15:17
      Immigrants from Russia have insufficient Orthodox churches in Germany

      Moscow, October 8, Interfax - Immigrants from Russia living in
      Germany have insufficient number of Orthodox churches.

      "When I came for permanent residence to Germany, I took baptism in a
      Catholic church not because I thought Catholic faith to be the truest
      of all Christian beliefs, but because this Catholic church was
      next-door to my house," writer Yana Zavatskaya told Interfax-Religion
      Wednesday.

      According to this Russian immigrant who has been living in Arnsberg
      already for 15 years, many Orthodox immigrants from Russia have no
      opportunity to regularly go to church as it is located far away from
      their home.

      "There are Germans who come to Germany from Russia in whole families.
      Generally, they are hereditary Lutherans. But there are people who
      would like to preserve Orthodoxy and Russian culture staying in
      Germany," Zavatskaya said.

      She believes that it is a challenge for a German native to adopt
      Orthodoxy. All Orthodox churches in Germany are Serbian, Russian or
      Greek. Services in German are conducted in a very few churches and
      not every Sunday.