5365St. Mary Magdalen/NYC Website update -- Potter's Field Memorial Service

    Apr 29, 2006
      Dear All,

      Christ is Risen!

      This is to let you know that our parish website, www.saintmarymagdalen.com, has been updated with current contact and schedule information.

      In particular, I would like to draw your attention to the bottom of the schedule page ( http://www.saintmarymagdalen.com/schedule.htm), under "Upcoming Events." As some of you know, on Thursday, September 21, we plan to assist Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos in celebrating a Memorial Service on Hart Island, the Potter's Field where New York City buries its indigent and unclaimed dead.

      Since 1869, over 750,000 burials have been held on Hart Island, the city's ninth Potter's Field (the first is now Washington Square). Today, inmates from the Department of Corrections bury between 2,000 and 3,000 people every year. These men, women, and children are buried without ceremony in mass graves that each hold 150 adults or 1,000 infants, marked only by a numbered concrete post.

      Bishop Dimitrios and I have been coordinating with the Interfaith Friends of Potter's Field and the DOC to hold a memorial for all these forgotten by man, but remembered by God.

      I hope that as many as possible can join us in this mitzvah. Please mark your calendars, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

      In Christ,
      Sdn John

      John Congdon
      Office of Advancement, Annual Giving
      St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary
      575 Scarsdale Road Crestwood, NY 10707-1699

      914-961-8313 x340 (office)
      914-961-4507 (fax)
      jcongdon@...