3485Orthodox Church in America Condolences to London

  • Fr John Brian
    Jul 8, 2005
      METROPOLITAN HERMAN SENDS LETTERS OF CONDOLENCE AFTER LONDON TERRORIST
      ATTACK

      SYOSSET, NY [OCA Communications] - In response to the terrorist attacks in
      London on Thursday, July 6, 2005, Metropolitan Herman, the Church's ranking
      hierarch in North America, sent messages of concern and condolence to
      Bishop Basil of Surozh; The Right Honourable Tony Blair, British Prime
      Minister; The Most Reverend Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury; The
      Rt. Rev. John Carew Chartres, Bishop of London; and Sir David Manning,
      Ambassador of Great Britain to the United States.

      "It was with great shock and deep sorrow that I awoke on the morning of
      Thursday, July 6, 2005, to learn of the terrorist attacks in London,"
      Metropolitan Herman wrote. "Once again, the forces of evil have been
      unleashed, claiming the lives of so many innocent individuals, injuring
      hundreds of others, and disrupting the quest for 'the peace of the whole
      world,' for which Christians around the world pray continuously and
      fervently.

      "The sense of loss that we share with you at this time is not unlike that
      we felt on September 11, 2001," he continued. "Once again, we are reminded
      that we live in a fallen world, in which love has grown cold and the hearts
      of many have become hardened to the One Who Who is Love Itself. If there is
      any consolation in such tragic circumstances, it is found in the comforting
      words of Our Loving Saviour: 'Be not afraid.' In Him alone do we find the
      'consolation of the afflicted' and the hope of victory over all that
      dishonors and distorts His creation. And to Him alone do we turn for refuge
      in a world in which the irrational and unjust so often appear to be the
      "norm" and the love of God so often seems beyond reach."

      Metropolitan Herman assured Bishop Basil, Mr. Blair, Archbishop Williams,
      Bishop Chartres, and Mr. Manning of his personal prayers and those of the
      members of the Holy Synod of Bishops, the clergy and monastics, and the
      faithful of The Orthodox Church in America.

      "Your suffering is our suffering; your loss is our loss," Metropolitan
      Herman concluded. "May the love of our all merciful Saviour fill our hearts
      now and in the days to come, and may the consolation He so freely offers
      fill us with the faith and hope our world so desperately needs in the face
      of evil."

      ==

      MEDIA RELEASE / ORTHODOX CHURCH IN AMERICA
      PO Box 675
      Syosset, New York 11791-0675

      Contact: The Very Rev. John Matusiak
      OCA Communications Director