3259Construction of St. George temple began in Primorye, on Russo-Chinese border

  • Nelson Mitrophan Chin
    Jun 1, 2005
      http://orthodox.cn/news/050530vladivostok_en.htm

      Construction of St. George the Conqueror temple began in Primorye, on
      the Russo-Chinese border

      English Translation by Nina Tkachuk Dimas

      Vladivostok. On May 30, Archbishop Venyamin of Vladivostok and
      Primorye blessed the cornerstone/foundation of St. George the
      Conqueror temple on the Russian-Chinese border in the area of the auto
      passage "Sosnovyi Pad".

      The construction site was chosen on the territory of the international
      trade complex situated on a high hill; the temple will be visible from
      afar on both the Chinese and Russian sides. The project was developed
      by "Promstoyniiproyekt" (A.V. Smolyaninov, Chief Architect). Per
      project, the timbered walls will be erected without using nails. The
      temple's height 17 meters; length - 18; width - 9. Five bells will
      ring from the belfry. Contractor: "Kosandra", a privately held company
      (A.A. Kosyachenko, president). Builders assure that the basic work on
      the temple will be finished by summer's end.

      Construction participants are very proud of their mission; they
      believe more temples should be built, especially on the border. They
      say: "Let our temple's bell-ringing resound through all of "Suifenhe"
      (the Chinese city which has stretched out just beyond the fence).

      In his sermon Archbishop Benjamin said: "I greet you on this joyous
      day! We placed a capsule in the base of the Holy Great Martyr St.
      George the Conqueror; may God grant that it will be built soon. A
      temple is the space where one goes to unburden the soul, to touch the
      sky. To stand under the temple's arches, even if you're an atheist; to
      admire the painting, the icons; to think about eternity.

      Our heavenly father is absolute love, absolute good, truth and mercy.
      Man was created to constantly perfect himself and to draw closer to
      God... Moreover we build God's temple on the border with other
      peoples, ones with a different culture. We want to show our face. And
      here it is -- our face..."

      Official representatives of the administration of the boundary region,
      construction companies, border guards and inhabitants of the
      Pogranichny (Frontier) settlement participated in the celebration.
      Clergy included the priests-in-charge of parishes in Yaroslavka,
      Pokrovka, and priests Sergiy Yakutov and Andrey Mashanov, representing
      the Vladivostok diocese. The guests were met by the Father Lev
      Kalachnikov, priest-in-charge of the Dormition of the Theotokos parish
      in the Pogranichny settlement.

      Press office of the Vladivostok diocese/Sedmitza.Ru