Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

284Tikhvin Icon to visit New York City (March 11, 2004)

Expand Messages
  • Fr. John-Brian
    Mar 1, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Icon of Tikhvin Mother of God to Visit New York City
      http://saints.oca.org/IconDirectory/lg/june/0626tikvinicon01.jpg

      SYOSSET, NY [OCA Communications] -- With the blessing of His Beatitude,
      Metropolitan Herman, Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, and His
      Eminence, Archbishop Peter of New York and New Jersey, the wonder-working
      Tikhvin icon of the Mother of God will visit New York City March 11-14,
      2004.

      Clergy of the OCA's New York City Deanery will meet the icon at Holy Virgin
      Protection Cathedral, 59 East Second Street (212-677-4664)
      (http://www.oca.org/pages/directory/listing.asp?KEY=OCA-NY-NYCPRV),
      Manhattan on the afternoon of Thursday, March 11. At 7:00 p.m. the same day
      a Service of Thanksgiving and the Akathist Hymn in honor of the icon will be
      celebrated. The cathedral will remain open until midnight to accommodate
      those wishing to pray before the icon.

      From Friday, March 12 through Sunday, March 14, the icon will be available
      for veneration at the Saint Nicholas Cathedral, 15 East 97 Street,
      Manhattan. The historic cathedral serves as the representation church of the
      Patriarchate of Moscow. Information on services at the cathedral may be
      obtained by calling 212/289-1915.

      The Very Rev. Sergei Garklavs, the icon's guardian, will accompany the icon
      during its final visit to New York. In July, the icon will be solemnly
      returned to the monastery in Tikhvin, Russia, after a 55-year sojourn in the
      US.

      According to ancient tradition, the Tikhvin icon of the Mother of God is one
      of several painted by Saint Luke the Evangelist. In the fifth century the
      icon was taken from Jerusalem to Constantinople, where it was enshrined in
      the Church of Blachernae, which was built especially for this purpose. In
      1383, seventy years before the fall of Constantinople, fishermen on Lake
      Ladoga in the principality of Novgorod in northern Russia witnessed the icon
      miraculously hovering over the lake's waters amidst a radiant light. Shortly
      after its miraculous appearance, the icon was discovered in several
      neighboring towns, including the village of Motchenitsy on the bank of the
      Tikhvinka River, before it finally appeared near the town of Tikhvin. A
      wooden church dedicated to the Dormition of the Mother of God was built on
      the site. In 1560, by order of Tsar Ivan the Terrible, a men's monastery was
      established near the church. Over the centuries, the icon's fame spread far
      and wide, with copies of the original adorning countless churches throughout
      Russia and beyond. (For more on the history of the icon:
      http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Feasts-and-Saints/June/Jun-26.html#1)

      During the World War II German occupation, the Nazis removed the icon from
      the Tikhvin Monastery, from whence it was taken to Pskov and subsequently to
      Riga, Latvia. When Riga was evacuated, Bishop John [Garklavs] of Riga, in
      whose care the icon was placed, took the icon to Bavaria, where it was
      venerated by Orthodox faithful who had been displaced because of the war.

      While Soviet agents had spotted the icon, Bishop John was permitted to take
      the icon to the US in 1949, where it was venerated for many years at the
      OCA's Holy Trinity Cathedral in Chicago. After the death of Archbishop John,
      Father Garklavs, his adopted son, became the icon's guardian.

      Archbishop John had hoped that conditions in Russia would make it possible
      for the icon to be returned to its original home in Tikhvin.

      © 2003 Orthodox Church in America, Office of Communication - info@...