19132Praying for peace in a "country on the brink of the abyss"

    Jan 22, 2014

      Unedited machine translation

      In Kiev-Pechersk Lavra in Ukraine unification day and prayers for peace

      January 22, 2014 20:51

      On January 22 with the blessing of Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine Vladimir Uspensky Cathedral in Kiev-Pechersk Lavra held a public service on the occasion of the Day of Unity of Ukraine. The divine service was led by the governor of the monastery and the Chernobyl Metropolitan Vyshgorodsky Paul and managing director of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church , Metropolitan Anthony of Boryspil and Brovary .
      Concelebrating with His Eminence were bishops Makarovsky Hilary , and Romenskii Buryn Joseph , Theodosius Boyarsky , Borodyansky Varsonofy , Fastovskii Damian and Vasilkovskiy Nicholas . The general prayer attended Kiev clergy and numerous believers.
       During the service, also prayed the President of Ukraine  Yanukovych, Secretary of the National Security and Defense of Ukraine Klyuyev, the Attorney General of Ukraine  Pshonka, head of the Kyiv Regional State Administration  Prysiazhniuk and other officials.
      Before starting the prayer Metropolitan Anthony in connection with the events in Kiev, urged the faithful raise fervent prayer to God to end the violence and reconciliation of the warring parties.
        These days in the center of Kiev continues a violent confrontation between police officers and protesters.
       At the request of the portal "Orthodoxy in Ukraine" Metropolitan Anthony commented on the situation:
        "Today we celebrate the Day of Unification and Freedom of Ukraine with a sense of sadness and grief.. The country is on the brink of the abyss. This morning all of us shocking news about the latest clashes in the center of Kiev and the death of one of the protesters. Church again and again urges to stop the violence. Люди! People! Come to your senses!
       Opposition leaders should make every effort to stop the protesters police actions against law enforcement officers. Authorities and the opposition should immediately sit down at the negotiating table. Ukrainian Orthodox Church reaffirms its readiness to mediate in such negotiations.
       Unity Day is a symbol of the unity of the Ukrainian lands and unity of the people of Ukraine. However, today we are showing the world not collegiality and confrontation and strife. There can be a strong state in which there is no unity among the citizens, in which there is no dialogue between the government, opposition and civil society.
       . We offer prayers for our country and for our people. May the Lord give us the wisdom not to destroy their own country, not to drown in the depths of the Civil War. "