18965New Bell at Seattle's St. Spiridon (OCA) Cathedral

  • MIGREEK@...
    Dec 21, 2013

      SEATTLE SKETCHER

      An illustrated journal of life in the Puget Sound region by Times artist Gabriel Campanario.

      (NOTE: Click on link to see sketches of new bell and its placement.)

      New Bell Rings in Reminder of Lake Union's Past

      Seattle Times
      December 21, 2013

      Church bell ringer John Cox told me four years ago that he’d love to melt the Fremont Lenin statue into a giant bronze bell.
      Today I’m happy to report that Cox got the Russian-made artifact he wanted withouth having to torch Lenin, and Fremont can breathe easy.
      Cox’s congregation at St. Spiridon Orthodox Cathedral has imported an 1,800-pound bronze bell from the Vera foundry in Voronezh, a city the size of Seattle in Southern Russia that has become one of the world’s leading manufacturers of bronze bells.
      The new bell means a lot for the cathedral, as it fills a spot that has been empty for more than a decade.
      As I watched two men and a giant forklift install the bell last week, I appreciated that St. Spiridon’s Russian domes and bells serve as a reminder of what the Cascade neighborhood once was: a working class community of Russian and Greek immigrants employed by sawmills and boat yards around Lake Union.