18949Patriarch Kirill urges safety of clergy

    Dec 19, 2013

      19 December 2013, 10:10
      Patriarch Kirill urges safety of clergy

      Moscow, December 19, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All
      Russia said he urged protecting clergy from attacks of extremists.

      "I think that society and authorities should protect spiritual teachers,
      whose word is tested with life. Shedding the blood of religious leaders
      should be recognized as an especially vicious crime by society," the
      Patriarch said during the meeting of the Russian Interreligious Council
      celebrating its 15th anniversary.

      The meeting participants had a minute of silence to honor the memory of
      clergy deceased.

      As to the desecration of religious relics, "these provocations are the
      attempts to incite enmity between representatives of different
      religions, nations and beliefs and to destroy the long-standing
      principles of dialog and cooperation," Patriarch Kirill said. "Amid such
      conditions we, leaders of traditional religions, should show everyone
      the example of support in difficult situation and to resist such crimes
      jointly," the patriarch said.

      The activities of traditional communities "become the most important
      conditions of spiritual and physical safety of citizens," Patriarch
      Kirill said.