18709Ukrainian churches: remember victims of Stalinist famine-genocide

    Nov 7, 2013

      Ukrainian churches: remember victims of Stalinist famine-genocide

      1 4 0Google +0Delicious0
      CWN - November 07, 2013
      The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyivan Patriarchate recently issued a joint statement calling upon the faithful to commemorate the eightieth anniversary of the Holodomor – the Stalin-era famine in which millions of Ukrainians perished.
      “We want [November 23] to be a day of commemoration and prayer,” said a Ukrainian Orthodox prelate, as quoted by the Religious Information Service of Ukraine. “Unfortunately, when these people died, very rarely were proper burial rites performed. Therefore, our duty is not only to remember them, but to pray for them.”