18274“For The Life Of The World” col lege conference honors Fr. Schmemann

    Jul 29, 2013

      July 29, 2013
      “For The Life Of The World” college conference honors Fr. Schmemann

      A special college conference in honor of the late Dean of Saint
      Vladimir’s Seminary, Father Alexander Schmemann, will be held Saturday,
      October 5, 2013 at the seminary.

      Father Alexander served as Dean from 1962 until his untimely repose in 1983.

      The conference will feature both Priests Christopher Foley, rector of
      the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church, High Point, NC, and Priest Joel
      Weir, a graduate of Saint Tikhon’s Seminary and rector of Saint Stephen
      the First Martyr Church, Crawfordsville, IN.

      Both priests will speak about their transformative spiritual encounters
      with Father Alexander’s writings, among them his book, For The Life Of
      The World, which set them upon the path to Orthodox Christianity and
      deepened their faith in Jesus Christ. The book, translated into at least
      12 languages, is celebrating its 50th year of publication. The first
      edition was published by the National Student Christian Federation in 1963.

      The college conference is being arranged by Protodeacon Joseph Matusiak,
      Director of Admissions and Alumni Relations, who is issuing special
      invitations to several Orthodox Christian Fellowships on college and
      university campuses across the US.

      “The seminary’s Events Committee decided to dedicate what normally would
      be Orthodox Education Day to the spiritual growth of college and
      university students,” said Protodeacon Joseph. “While, due to the
      growing interest in the college conference we find that we will not be
      able to accommodate the general public to our campus for this special
      event, we will be podcasting the talks by Fathers Christopher and Joel
      Weir, and we hope our usual ‘Ed Day’ patrons will listen in to their
      moving presentations and keep us in thought and prayer on that day.”

      Additional information may be obtained by calling 914-961-8313 x328 or
      sending an e-mail to jmatusiak@....