1815Detroit OCF Students and Alumni Unite Orthodox Christians

  • Fr. John-Brian
    Oct 1, 2004
      Orthodox Christian Fellowship
      1-800-919-1623
      Contact: Jim D. King
      Director of Development
      www.ocf.net

      Detroit OCF Students and Alumni Unite Orthodox Christians

      Detroit, MI - Detroit area OCF students and alumni from the various
      Orthodox jurisdictions under SCOBA hosted a weekend-long event to unite
      Orthodox Christians and share the ministry of Orthodox Christian
      Fellowship. Attending the weekend event were Fr. Michael Nasser,
      Executive Director of OCF, and Jim King, OCF Development Director, to
      support the effort and raise awareness for the national OCF ministry
      effort. The events took place on September 17-19. More than 150
      individuals concerned about the future of Orthodox campus ministry in
      America attended.

      The three-day event included workshops on Friday evening at St. George
      Romanian Orthodox Cathedral in Southfield, for teens, parents, college
      students, and OCF Alumni, conducted by local clergy and Orthodox business
      leaders. A grand banquet was held on Saturday evening at the Basilica of
      St. Mary in Livonia, which included a silent auction, dancing, and
      presentations by Fr. Michael Nasser, Jim King, and two local college
      students. The weekend concluded on Sunday morning with the Detroit area
      churches, in conjunction with Orthodox parishes throughout the country,
      participating in "College Student Sunday." SCOBA has designated the Sunday
      following the Elevation of the Holy Cross, to be a day reserved for
      parishes to hear about the on-going work of OCF and learn about the many
      resources available to them through the national office.

      The purpose of this event and similar events being held throughout the
      country is to create awareness for the ministry of OCF and share with
      Orthodox communities how every Orthodox individual may participate in this
      vital ministry. Reflecting on this national effort, OCF Development
      Director, Jim King said, "Our goal is to make Orthodoxy an option for
      college students, both spiritually and educationally, by creating a real
      and lasting presence on the college campus."

      The event was made possible due to the diligent planning of a volunteer
      committee who worked for eight months to promote the weekend, which turned
      out to be a huge success. Committee Chair and event coordinator Christa
      Shalhoub said, "Everyone on the committee is extremely passionate about the
      Orthodox campus ministry. OCF has touched and inspired every one of us at
      one point in our lives, and we want to help ensure its continued success.
      OCF has such potential to reach so many students. This event is simply a
      stepping stone for the future of Orthodox campus ministry nationwide."

      When asked about the future, OCF Executive Director, Fr. Michael Nasser
      said, "Our goal is to continue reaching out to Orthodox communities across
      the country and share with them our vision for creating a permanent
      Orthodox presence on campus for our Orthodox college students."

      We encourage all Orthodox communities interested in learning about Orthodox
      campus ministry and the work of the national OCF office to consider hosting
      an event in your area. For more information about hosting an event or to
      learn how you may help support the ministry of OCF, contact the OCF
      development office at 805-692-6758. For more information about the
      ministry of OCF, please visit our website at www.ocf.net.

      About OCF
      Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) is the official campus ministry effort
      of the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
      (SCOBA). It is a Pan-Orthodox effort, overseen by an Executive Committee
      and aided by a sixteen-person Student Advisory Board. The office is located
      in Boston, MA, where a full time staff develops OCF programs and resources.
      The staff is available to guide and support local OCF chapters through
      communication with the larger Orthodox community, national programs, and
      development of resources for use by Orthodox college students. SCOBA
      designated the 3rd Sunday in September each year as "College Student
      Sunday" to raise awareness of our students on campus and OCF's activities.

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Friday, October 1, 2004
      SCOBA
      The Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
      8 East 79th Street, New York, NY 10021