17718Bishop Luke of Seidnaya: Orthodoxy is being destroyed in Syria

    Apr 4 12:28 PM
      http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/60498.htm

      Bishop Luke of Seidnaya: Orthodoxy is being destroyed in Syria

      Damascus, March 29, 2013

      In his interview to the MEDIA, a Hierarch of the Antiochian Orthodox
      Church, Bishop Luke of Seidnaya, has disclosed the scale of persecutions
      suffered by Orthodox Christians of this region since the very beginning
      of the uprising against the regime of Bashar Al-Assad, reports Agionoros.ru.

      By now, 138,000 Christians have been banished from their homes and at
      the same time Christian Churches are systematically destroyed. "They are
      killing people. A human life is of no value for them," in such words
      Bishop Luke is describing the situation in the country.

      Thus, in the city of Homs, anti-government forces have committed mass
      murder of Christians. Hundreds of people have been killed. Dozens of
      cases of sexual assault have also been recorded.

      "The damage done to our Churches is great. They are burned, plundered,
      their walls are broken. If a human life is of no value for these
      criminals then will they spare our shrines? Our parishioners are beaten
      up and attacked. All this is obtaining "legal status" because revolution
      is happening and nobody is protesting against it," notes the Orthodox
      Hierarch.

      "Our ancestors settled in this land long before Islam appeared here. A
      great number of saints, who preached love, were martyred in this land,"
      notes the Very Reverend Bishop Luke who, in spite of all horrors
      described above, continues to call Muslims "brothers". And how can it be
      otherwise, since Orthodoxy rejects hatred for other religious convictions?

      Unfortunately, Orthodox Christians in Syria are now abandoned to their
      fate. They are becoming vulnerable victims of Muslim fanatics. And the
      only way they can oppose violence in this situation is prayer and hope
      in help of God, Who does not abandon those who trust in Him.