17468Medvedev wants stronger relations between state, church, society

    Feb 2, 2013

      01 February 2013, 15:19
      Medvedev wants stronger relations between state, church, society

      Moscow, February 1, Interfax - On the fourth anniversary of Patriarch
      Kirill's enthronement, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev wished him
      health and said he is hoping the relations between the church, the
      state, and society in Russia will become stronger.

      "A Patriarch's service is a very difficult mission and hope everything
      will be fine. I wish for the special relationship now established
      between the Russian Orthodox Church, the state, and the entire society
      to grow stronger and serve for the good of our Fatherland," Medvedev
      said after the liturgy in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow.

      During the meeting, Patriarch Kirill mentioned the increase in the
      number of archbishops, adding that 300 archbishops had assisted him
      during the liturgy, whereas he was elected by only 200 archbishops four
      years ago. The Patriarch said this is due to the increase in the number
      of dioceses in the Russian Orthodox Church in the past few years.

      "The increase in the number of bishops, as I understand, reflects an
      increase in the number of people going to church, which is an objective
      process," Medvedev said.

      "These people are educated, most of them have secular and spiritual
      university education and a lot of work experience. We take candidates
      not only from the capital, but also from among those who, as I say, know
      how to travel in the tundra and taiga," the patriarch said, referring to
      the new generation of bishops.