174182 versions of +Justinian & +Tikhon lunch

    Jan 23, 2013
      http://oca.org/reflections/fr.-john-jillions/january-23-2013

      Archbishop Justinian Visits the Chancery
      Archbishop Justinian visited the Chancery yesterday for lunch with Metropolitan Tikhon and the OCA staff (see story and photos here.) Former Chancellor Father Daniel Hubiak was with us for the occasion too. After serving as chancellor, Father Daniel spent a number of years in Moscow as the OCA’s first representative to the Russian Orthodox Church and forging the OCA community at Saint Catherine’s Church. The current head of external church relations for the Moscow Patriarchate, Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev), served in those years as an assistant priest to Father Daniel.

      The conversation was congenial, informal, candid and wide-ranging. We discussed some of the differences in Orthodox pastoral life and church experience in Russia and the United States, and the challenges of serving in both regions. Of particular concern are the pastoral needs of Russian-speaking immigrants, and preparing clergy who have the skills to work with them. Archbishop Justinian made the point that many immigrants who may not have been especially pious while in Russia discover God through the upheavals of immigration. We spoke about ways that the OCA and the Russian Church might build bridges to collaborate, especially in training of seminarians and clergy for missionary work.

      Today I’ll be catching up on lots of office work. Tomorrow the other officers and I will be heading to Washington, DC for a packed few days surrounding the enthronement of our Metropolitan Tikhon at Saint Nicholas Cathedral (1/27). The other events include the March for Life (1/25), the enthronement of Ukrainian Orthodox Archbishop Anthony (1/26), and the meeting of the Holy Synod (1/28).

      http://ruschurchusa.org/ru/news/621

      January 23, 2013

      Visit by the Administrator of the MP parishes in the USA to the newly elected leader of the American Orthodox Church.

      On Tuesday, January 22, Arcbisop Justinian of Naro-Fominsk visited Metropolitan Tikhon,  the newly elected Leader of the American Orthodox Church.  The meeting took plae in the historical building of the residence of the American Church's Leaders in Syosset, New York.  Archpriest George Konyev, rector of the temple of the Three Hierarchs in Garfield, accompanied the Administrator of the Patriarchal parishes.

      After a brief moleben served by Metropolitan Tikon in the chapel, Archbishop Justinian and Archpriest George Konyev were invited to a lunch in which also took part responsible persons in the Chancery of the American Orthodox Church:  Archpriest John Jillions, Chancellor; Archpriest Eric Tosi, Secretary; Archpriest Leonid Kishkovsky, Director of the OCA Dept. External Relations; Melanie Ringa, Treasurer; and the retired Protopresbyter Daniel Hubiak. The Enthronement in Washington's St. Nicholas Cathedral, as well as other matters of activities and cooperation of the two churches - Russian and American - were discussed during the meeting.

      Photos courtesy of the OCA