17379Church plans to expand its language........

    Jan 12, 2013

      http://www.easthamptonstar.com/?q=Villages/2013110/New-Greek-Cultural-Center New Greek Cultural Center
      By Star staff | January 10, 2013 - 12:54pm The Greek Orthodox Church of the Hamptons will celebrate the completion
      of the Johnides Family Cultural Center on Sunday with a ribbon-cutting
      ceremony and blessing by Bishop Andonios Paropoulos, chancellor of the
      Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The cultural center, funded by a gift from Coula Johnides, who ran the
      Old Stove Pub in Sagaponack for many years with her siblings, is one of
      three new buildings that the congregation has finished or is in the
      process of completing to house church programs and serve the broader
      community. Also under construction are the Dormition of the Virgin Mary
      Sanctuary and the Nicholas S. Zoullas Hellenic Center.  Ms. Johnides committed $1 million to the center and also established the
      Johnides Family Foundation to fund educational programs, provide
      scholarships, develop cultural and religious programs, and “advance
      Hellenism and Orthodoxy on the East End,” as well as to aid in the
      upkeep and maintenance of the cultural center named for her family.
      “With the Johnides Family Cultural Center, we will be able to improve
      these ministries and we will be able to offer exciting new ministries
      for the enrichment of our members and for the enrichment of the broader
      East End community,” the Rev. Alex Karloutsos said in a release. “Coula,
      along with all of our supporters, has opened up a new horizon of
      possibility for us.”  The center has seven classrooms, a recreation room for youth, a
      conference room, administrative offices, a library, and a kitchen.
       With the additional space, the church plans to expand its language
       and cultural institute to offer instruction in Russian and Romanian
       in addition to Greek, and to offer a summer Bible camp as well as
      additional adult programming.  The ribbon-cutting on Sunday will follow 10 a.m. services at about 11:30
      and is open to the public. The church is on St. Andrew’s Road in
      Southampton.