17372Putin lauds primate of Georgian Orthodox Church

    Jan 12, 2013

      11 January 2013, 17:45
      Putin lauds primate of Georgian Orthodox Church

      Moscow, January 11, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent
      an anniversary message to the Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II.

      "Please accept my cordial congratulations on the 35th anniversary of
      your patriarchal ministry and your 80th birthday," the president's
      office quoted Putin as saying in his message.

      Putin credited Ilia II with invaluable work in cementing Orthodoxy's
      positions in Georgia and asserting Orthodox values in Georgian society.

      "We highly appreciate your warm attitude to Russia and the Russian
      Orthodox Church. Your personal efforts and your appeals for peace, love,
      creative work, harmony and unity have been instrumental in taking the
      age-old ties of friendship and mutual understanding between our peoples
      through difficult times in history. I am convinced that fruitful
      spiritual, cultural and intellectual dialogue will become a solid basis
      for the further development of relations between Russia and Georgia.
      With all my heart, I wish you health and wellbeing," Putin said.