17363Rival Christian parties back Orthodox vote plan

    Jan 9, 2013
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Politics/2013/Jan-08/201248-rival-christian-parties-back-orthodox-vote-plan.ashx#axzz2HVzxw8am

      Rival Christian parties back Orthodox vote plan
      January 08, 2013 02:06 AM
      By Hussein Dakroub
      The Daily Star

      BEIRUT: On the eve of a parliamentary subcommittee's discussions on a
      new electoral law, the country's rival Christian parties came out Monday
      in support of a controversial proposal calling for every sect to elect
      its own MPs in this year's parliamentary elections.

      However, the chances of the Orthodox Gathering's proposal being adopted
      as a new electoral law appeared to be slim, given the fierce opposition
      voiced by major Muslim parties on both sides of the political divide.
      Muslim politicians in the March 8 and March 14 camps, including the
      Future Movement, have rejected the Orthodox proposal, arguing that it
      would create deep sectarian and confessional divisions in the already
      politically split country.

      Former Prime Minister Fouad Siniora warned that the Orthodox Gathering's
      proposal would encourage extremists from all sects and serve as "a
      recipe" for a clash among the Lebanese.

      Asked to comment on the Orthodox proposal, Siniora, also the head of the
      parliamentary Future bloc, told MTV Monday night: "We want to foresee
      the results that might be entailed by this [proposal]. The Taif Accord
      called for [sectarian] coexistence and approved the adoption of a
      senate. When we approve that each sect can elect its own
      representatives, we will be giving a chance to extremists from each
      group to use their opinions in an attempt to win the people's sympathy.
      Therefore, we will be prescribing a fast recipe for a further clash
      among the Lebanese."

      "We want an electoral law that can ensure a just representation and
      freedom of choice. The law also should be in conformity with the Taif
      Accord," he added.

      Read more:
      http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Politics/2013/Jan-08/201248-rival-christian-parties-back-orthodox-vote-plan.ashx#ixzz2HW0RlSyQ

      (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)