      Local Orthodox bishop apologizes for misconduct
      By Manya Brachear
      Tribune reporter
      2:39 PM CST, November 4, 2012

      The local bishop of the Orthodox Church in America accused in August of
      "inappropriate" behavior with a woman has been found guilty of sexual misconduct
      by church investigators, but will remain at the helm of the Midwest Diocese.

      Bishop Matthias (born David Lawrence Moriak) will stay on administrative
      leave until he meets the "rehabilitative measures" required by the church's Holy
      Synod. Those measures include directly asking forgiveness from the woman who
      submitted a complaint, participating in a residential therapeutic program
      designed for clergy, and undergoing a mentorship with a peer bishop who will
      then recommend whether Bishop Matthias can return to his post.

      "I am deeply sorry that I have offended, confused, and caused hurt to this
      young woman," Bishop Matthias said in a letter read to parishioners during
      worship services on Sunday. "I will communicate my apology directly and
      personally to her."

      According to a statement issued by the Holy Synod, Bishop Matthias allegedly
      sent inappropriate text and e-mail messages to a female parishioner in the
      diocese. She filed a formal complaint in August, the statement said.

      "I wish that I could convince all of you what I am certain of in my heart –
      that the conscious motives behind my interaction with this woman were not
      impure," Bishop Matthias said in his letter on Sunday. "But, I know that only
      active, demonstrated repentance – confession of my sins, pursuit of the means of
      changing, and a resulting change in conduct – will be convincing."
      mbrachear@...