17078The working session of Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church took place at the Patriarchal Residence

    Oct 31, 2012
      http://www.basilica.ro/stiri/edinta-de-lucru-a-sfantului-sinod-la-resedinta-patriarhala_382.html

      The working session of Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church took
      place at the Patriarchal Residence of Bucharest, under the chairmanship
      of His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel.

      To start with the meeting, His Beatitude said that the priority of the
      Romanian Orthodox Church is, at present, aiding the sick and needy.

      “Our main concern for this period is to help the sick more, especially
      the poor sick people. It is much sufferance with the people. These days
      of feast in Bucharest showed us on one hand that the devotion of our
      people is very big, but sufferance is as big. There are lots of sick
      people who suffer”, said the Primate of the Romanian Orthodox Church, as
      Trinitas Radio station informs.

      The hierarchs of our Church approved the text of the pastoral letter
      that will be read on the first Sunday of the Advent of the Nativity of
      the Lord (18 November 2012). The pastoral letter urges the monks and
      priests to take more active part in aiding the sick and needy.

      “The focus of the pastoral letter is to make the parishes and
      monasteries sensitive to aiding the sick, aiding first of all through
      the prayer because this is the first work of the Church. The pastoral
      letter also asks that the Christmas Advent should be reflected in
      collections of money, clothes, and food for the sick, especially for the
      old sick people who cannot move and must feel that the hierarchs,
      priests, monks of the Church, as well as the faithful are the hands of
      the merciful hands of Christ for those who need our help”, the Patriarch
      of Romania also said.

      Another subject to talk about is the improvement of the theological
      education, also showed His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel: “We must prepare
      the students much better, especially from a spiritual point of view,
      because the very big tendency of secularization is seen in certain
      schools, so that we must listen to what the deans of the Faculties of
      Theology who met this autumn at Tismana Monastery say and what proposals
      they made for the renewal of the theological academic education. On the
      other hand, the European academic requirements are different from those
      they had before our admission. Much heed is paid not only on reading the
      course, but also on research, study, and publication of books and
      studies especially in magazines of international circulation. We have
      special responsibility to involve more in the organization of the
      theological education, of the spiritual and intellectual quality as well”.

      The Holy Synod session is held today, 29 October 2012, at the
      Patriarchal Residence.

      The meeting was preceded by the Te Deum and the Divine Liturgy
      celebrated by His Grace Paisie Lugojanul, Assistant Bishop to the
      Archdiocese of Timisoara.