12216Patriarch Alexy II Square opened in Tallinn

  • Michał
    Oct 1, 2009
      Patriarch Alexy II Square was ceremonially opened in the capital of Estonia.

      “I hope that we will open a monument to His Holiness Patriarch Alexy II on the day when the building of the Church of the Quick to Hear Icon of the Mother of God will be completed here at the square,” the city Mayor Edgar Savisaar told participants in the ceremony.

      He called Patriarch Alexy “a great man,” and noted, “Estonian people mourned over his decease with the entire Orthodox world.”

      The square financed by the mayor office is located in front of the Orthodox Church of the Quick to Hear Icon of the Mother of God, which is being constructed on donations in residential area Lasnamae.

      Tallinn-born Alexy II laid a foundation stone of the church during his visit to Estonia in September 2003.

      source: http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=6503