10680Patriarch Alexy II urged to live the commandments and seek the truth

    Dec 30, 2008

      30 December 2008, 10:01
      Patriarch Alexy II urged to live the commandments and seek the truth
      in his last Christmas message written shortly before his death

      Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Alexy II wished everyone peace, good
      health and success in good undertakings in coming New Year in his
      last Christmas greeting which he prepared, but didn't have a chance
      to address his flock.

      "Don't we often live as we will, leaving out the will of God and His
      commandments, relying only on human strength and leaving out the
      strength of God? Don't we replace our aspiration for peace and truth
      with vanity that leads only to disappointing emptiness?" such
      questions the Patriarch asked in his message.

      He urged to remember, "The peace of Christ conquers the hostility of
      this century and only having this peace in his heart, a person can
      keep balance in all every day storms and bring reconciliation to
      those who are near and far, transfiguring life with faith, truth,
      purity and love."

      Patriarch Alexy wished the peace of Christ could reach both disciples
      and followers of the Savior (people of various age, nationality,
      political views and social layers) "and people of other beliefs and
      convictions as we build up our national life together."

      "The world is troubled again. Blood is shed in many places, people
      are suffering. However, we believe that the Lord will help us,
      Orthodox Christians, prompt people to reconciliation, to wise and
      just settlement of all disputes and discords with our good example
      and action," the Patriarch further said in his message.

      In conclusion, Alexy II wishes the words of St. John of Shanghai said
      in 1938 came true: "Blessed you are, Russian Land, purified with the
      fire of sufferings! You went through the water of baptism, now you
      are going through the fire of sufferings, but one day you will reach
      quietness."