The Crown of Martyrdom For All Christians - St. Cyprian of Carthage

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2012

      The Crown of Martyrdom For All Christians

      Saint Cyprian of Carthage

      Let us be occupied at all times in spiritual works, that as often as the enemy approaches, as often as he tries to come near, he may find our heart closed and armed against him. Actually, for the Christian there is not only one crown which is obtained in time of persecution. The time of peace, too, has its own crowns, with which we are crowned as victors for our various and numerous engagements, after the adversary is laid low and overcome. To have conquered lust is the palm of continence. To have struggled victoriously against anger and insult is the crown of patience. To spurn money is to triumph over avarice. To bear the adversities of the world by hope in the things to come is the praise of faith. Furthermore, he who is not proud in prosperity achieves the glory of humility. Again, he who is prone to mercy in helping the poor receives the reward of a heavenly treasure. And he who knows not jealousy, but loves his brethren in a spirit of concord and meekness, is honored with the reward of love and peace. In this arena of the virtues we run daily, and to these palms and crowns of justice we attain without intermission.