Paschal Homily of His Eminence Archbishop Kallinikos of the Church of the True Orthodox Christians of Greece

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2011
      Paschal Homily of His Eminence Archbishop Kallinikos
      of the Church of the True Orthodox Christians of Greece
      To all the fullness of the Church
      “Now are all things filled with light; Heaven and earth, and the nethermost regions of the earth, Let all creation, therefore, celebrate the arising of Christ, whereby it is established.”
      O Light-formed children of the Church,
      The brilliant and light-bearing day of the Resurrection has once again dawned. The beautiful sun of Righteousness shone forth. The souls of the faithful are illuminated through the light of Grace. Resurrectional joy floods those who have fasted and mourned.
      Behold how much the pen of St. John of Damascus really describes the change of our feelings today: “Yesterday I was buried with Thee, O Christ, and today I arise with Thine arising. Yesterday was I crucified with Thee; do Thou Thyself glorify me with Thee, O Saviour, in Thy Kingdom.” Behold the depth of theological meaning covered by these few words! In the same vein, the Apostle Paul states: “if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.” (Romans 8:17) Our participation in the passion of Christ is the prerequisite for our participation in His glory. Our Lord and Master took upon Himself our own nature taking the form of a servant, and He Who is without sin suffered on our behalf and arose. And we, therefore, who believe in Him and have been baptized have become communicants of His passion and resurrection. This, after all, signifies the mystery of baptism “As many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection.” (Romans 6:3-5) It is not, therefore, by chance that the baptisms of catechumens happen – for the most important reason – on day of Great Saturday; when all the climate of Great Week and Renewal Week contribute to their really experiencing within themselves the divine passion and glorious Resurrection. We however, hearing the Apostolic verse echoed in the churches chanted throughout Renewal Week “As many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ” (Galatians 3:27), let us take care to appear worthy of the greatest gift. The Apostle Paul himself addresses us all; who have been baptized in Christ saying that we have come to know this truth and that our old man has been crucified together with Christ so that the body of sin may be abolished, let us be slaves of sin no longer but live for God: “Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:11)
      Let us receive this message, beloved brethren and children in the Lord and let us die finally to death and live according to God, as communicants of the Resurrection. And then, being ransomed from death we shall celebrate the Pascha of our salvation; our passage from slavery to freedom, from death to life, from the earth to heaven:
      “For Christ God hath brought us from death to life, and from earth unto Heaven as we sing the triumphal hymn.”
      Christ is risen brethren!