    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2010

      It is safe to say that the belief that all religions lead to the same God, that all of them serve man and that all of them contain some truth, is the fundamental conviction of Ecumenism.   The heresy of Ecumenism is a pan-heresy because it embraces all error.  The Ecumenist believes that no Christian teaching is absolute.  The various teachings of all Christian groups are seen as different opinions and this is why the Ecumenists refer to the members of these groups as heterodox.

      Heterodox simply means someone who holds a different belief.  The word heterodox does not allude to any distortion of the truth nor does it stand in opposition to what is Orthodox.  In this sense, the word Orthodox does not mean the truth but denotes one of many different (heteros) teachings.  We live in an age where nothing is true and nothing is false.  You believe whatever you wish and it makes no difference.  One man’s beliefs are as good as the other’s.

      Orthodox Christians believe that Christ is the Light of the world (John 8:12).  Our Saviour, the Son of God, is the Truth and Life (John 14:6), the only Way that a person can walk.  Orthodox Christians believe that all other ways are demonic and that the gods of the nations are demons (Psalm 65:5).  Those who teach and hold beliefs that are contrary to what our Saviour has revealed to us are called heretics by Saint Paul (Titus 3:10).  All the Church Fathers and Councils follow Saint Paul and combat the destructive teachings of heretics.

      In the writings of the Holy Fathers and in the decisions of the Holy Councils, heresy is identified as error which removes one from the road that leads to Eternal Life and places him on the road that leads to Eternal Death.

      Our Lord, the Good Shepherd, did not leave the idolater Cornelius (Acts 10), who was pious and lived in fasting, almsgiving, and prayer, to his religion, nor did He say that he would be saved because he led a holy life, regardless of the fact that he was an idolater. He sent an Angel and told him to call Saint Peter to lead Cornelius away from the way of death and instruct him in the true Faith, the way of Life.

      The Lord did the same thing for the eunuch of Candace (Acts 8:26-40). This eunuch was a pious Jew and had subjected himself to the labors and dangers of a distant jour­ney to worship in Jerusalem.  It was midday, and he should have eaten and gone to sleep or enjoyed the beauty of the landscapes.  Instead he was reading the Prophet Isaiah, and though the carriage was jolting along and it was not easy to read and he did not understand what he was reading, he nevertheless continued his reading, full of desire and yearning to understand the meaning of the Prophet Isaiah’s writings. God did not leave this most pious Jew to his ignorance, nor did He say he would be saved because he was so zealous, but instead He sent His Apostle Philip to instruct him concerning the Gospel of Christ.  This is because Judaism destroyed the teachings of the Holy Prophets and rejected our Lord.  Judaism refused to believe in God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and in this way turned away from Eternal Life.

      Let us not fool ourselves and be deluded by our Age.  Our Lord is the Truth and all other teachings lead away from our Saviour.  We can not be negligent in distinguishing true doctrine from erroneous and heretical teachings.  If we wish to remain on the path that leads to Eternal Life, we must have love for the teachings of our Faith and understand the destructive nature of heresy.