Nativity 08 at the Cathedral of the Roses

  • John Peter Presson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2009
      Feast of the Nativity at Holy Nativity of the Theotokos Cathedral

      PORTLAND – The Holy Nativity of the Theotokos Cathedral, in the beautiful Rose City, was  blessed with yet another glorious Nativity this year. We were again, especially blessed to have our ruling hierarch Metropolitan Moses returning home with us for the entire festive liturgical cycle. Eis polla eti Despota.

      The church was gloriously decorated with ribbons, cedar and fir boughs and flowers. This year the church was near capacity, with parishioners traveling from a distance to participate. They included the our Eastern Washington parishioners, the Lain family from Sunnyside, Wash., and Daniel Lain of Wenatchee.  Sadly abscent from this years celebration were the parishioners of the St. Ignatios mission in Lake Tapps and our own Fr. Dcn George Psaromatis due to family emergencies.

      On Monday evening, the Great (Royal) Hours were served, and the following day, the Vesperal Liturgy of St. Basil  was served.  That evening, a full hierarchical Vigil was served for the feast celebrated by His Eminence and the Cathedral Clergy -Frs. Constantine Parr, and  Photios Cooper,  and assisted by the Cathedral Chanters and Choir directed by the Protopsaltis of the Metropolis John Presson, followed immediately by the festal hierarchical Liturgy.  Metropolitan MOSES was greeted at the beginning of Grand Compline,by the Cathedral clergy and served the Litya and Blessing of  Artoklasia.  At the Praises, the hierarch was brought out to the Throne for his Kairon prayers and Vesting in the Temple.  The Hierarchical Divine Liturgy followed forthwith at midnight.  Our beloved hierarch delivered his festal address and homily.

      The Right Choir chanted the Communion Hymn “The Lord Hath Sent Redemption” of Daniel Protopsaltis.

      The following day, we celebrated Vespers for the Synaxis, In addition to the customary  caroling, the children performed a Christmas pageant to the delight  of all.

      This year's feast has been a great source of joy and solace to our Cathedral parish. We hope all had a truly blessed Nativity and a joyous Feast of Lights.

      Many years to the Cathedral Parish of Holy Nativity of the Theotokos and the Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Portland.

      Kala Cristougenna!
      John Peter Presson
      Protopsaltis -Orthodox Metropolis of Portland and the West
      protopsalti@...
      "Musicorum et cantorum magna est distantia; isti dicunt, illi sciunt quae componit Musica"
      Guido d' Arrezzo