Re: [OrthodoxInfo] Share your thoughts with us

  • vasiliki barrowman
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
      Dear Fr. Pangiotes,
      God Bless you for writing this interesting but incendiary subject if that is the correct title for this subject. Maybe most or some of  us are living on a thin line but dont know what to do.
      Gone are the days of taking those goddess and god statues out of various hues, nationalities and whatnot and smashing them and then doing the cleansing rites as described in the Old Testament times. We have replaced them with tv shows like American Idol and other forms of Secular Idolatry.( And if one can turn on the radio talkshows on weekends you can hear a local talkshow host talk about the tactics being used on the tv show American Idol.) And as for our egocentrical ways it shows in the way we vote for the sons of men in various forms of city, state and federal government who promise us the moon and stars and then turn around and stick us with bait and switch. Its further side effects are felt in various places around the world. How long shall some or most of us drink the kool aid or the loony water is question we need to ponder? And the answer lies in the heart.

      "Fr. Panagiotes Carras" <frpanagiotes@...> wrote:
      SECULAR IDOLATRY
      According to a new book, Fame Junkies by Jake Halpern, 43.4 percent of teenage girls in the United States , said their primary career goal was "celebrity assistant".  They were asked to choose between celebrity assistant, President of Harvard University, CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, U. S. Senator, etc.
      Infatuation with fame and celebrities, however, is not confined to the young.  Television programs such as American idol, Canadian and other national “Idol” programs have a large proportion of adult viewers.
      North American society, and to a lesser degree, the world as a whole, has become egocentric.  Even though it sees itself as a “secular society”, in essence it is a “religious society” that worships the individual.  The successful individual becomes a celebrity and an idol.  This idol, in a truly demonic manner, is worshiped and hated at the same time.  The gossip columns, tabloids and blogs rise in popularity by focusing on the scandals and downfall of these idols.
      North American educators have been embracing self-esteem- building programs since the early 1970s. One popular program, called Magic Circle , requires one child a day to be given a badge that says “I'm great”. The other children then take turns praising the “great” child and eventually, these compliments are written up and given to the child for posterity. Programs like this were intended to make young people feel better about themselves, but many educators now concede that they may have overshot the mark and fostered a culture of narcissism among North American youth.
      Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world?  How do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the narcissistic loony water that is all around us?  Please let us hear from clergy and parents.  Share with us what we can do, as Orthodox Christians.

    • eugene
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
        Hi, John,

        You said below very eloquently what I was trying to express.  What is "the hope that is within us," for which we are called to give account, when asked?  Is it the hope that our children will keep the fasts and their chastity until their dying breath?  Well, I HOPE so!  But I don't think that's THE hope, the one within us, that we should be able to give an account of.

        It's a very, very bad thing when an organization begins to define itself by what it is not, and what it doesn't do; as opposed to what it is, and what it does.  This goes for any organization -- and any individual.

        I asked Metropolitan Ephraim once why he had to distribute so many articles about how bad the Muslims are, rather than some articles that would actually help us negotiate our daily relationships.  And he said that material on how to live as an Orthodox Christian was easily obtained from the Lives of the Saints, the Scripture, and some articles that evidently our diocese had produced (which I'm not familiar with).

        Ah yes: but even St. Cosmas of Aetolia said that these sacred sources need some "unpacking."  I'll get back to this unpacking business later.  Meanwhile, I'd like to point out that instead, what we have "unpacked" for us in article after article, email after email is this: the Muslims are against us.  The secular humanists are against us.  The media is against us.  The public schools are against us.  The homosexuals are against us.  In fact, the whole WORLD is against us.  Ad nauseum.  Forgive me.

        I understand very well that the world is under the power of the evil one and that we have to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.  But do we want, venerable Fathers, brothers and sisters... do we want our children growing up with a profound sense that everyone is against them?  Or do we want our children free from fear?  Free from anger?

        One of our brave young people once said that she expected the Church to do just one thing for her: prepare her to receive Holy Communion.  I told that to my oldest son once, God keep him (God keep both of them), and he thought that was wonderful.  If we've got that, we've got everything.  If God is for us, who can be against us?

        To cut this short, I'd like to make a suggestion.  Why don't we all in this elist bravely trespass and talk some theology.  Let's talk about what the Faith means to us in terms of positives.  Here; I'll start:

        1)    It means that I have within me a mysterious sense of eternal glory and blessedness that I can never quite define or describe, but which seems to sustain me through the worst of personal tragedies.

        2)    It means that I can truly have NO FEAR.  Because again, if God is for me, who can be against me?

        3)    It means that I can fearlessly, again, face my own shortcomings (anger, depression, anxiety, the whole list of the passions), and realize that I am so much more than that, because God in Christ has made me more than that.

        4)    It means, on the basis of the above, that any criticism a friend or spouse or colleague has to make of me, can be heard, thought through, and responded to with honesty, because again: I am not afraid.  In other words, it means I can admit that I'm wrong, really wrong, on many occasions.

        5)    It means that I don't have to care what any person, or any institution, thinks of me, because I already know what God thinks of me: "Who loved me, and gave Himself for me."

        A couple closing points:  I'm not a deacon any longer -- just Eugene.  Secondly, it was pointed out to me by Demetrios A. that my earlier posting sounded negative.  For that, I sincerely ask forgiveness, especially from Fr. Panagiotes.  I admit that I have an anger in me that is troublesome.  I bear the responsibility, and must work to correct that anger, with God's help.  Thirdly, it was asked if I was still an Orthodox Christian.  Yes, and by God's grace hope to remain so until my death.

        John -- thank you so much for your post.  Where are you?  Where do you live?  Where's your parish?  And again, I think I'd really enjoy hearing what other people have to say about their Faith -- what is IS, rather than what it is NOT.  Any takers?

        In Christ,

        Eugene

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
          Hi, Elias,

          Thank you.  I think I've met you once before at a conference or something... hope you're well and happy.

          I'd like to risk saying something strange.  In your "neck of the woods," as you say, there are no Orthodox.  In other words, there is no Church.  You ARE the Church, then, in your neck of the woods.  But since like anyone you're a LIVING Church, that will include all your network of relationships with the heterodox, which is also a living thing, that network, that communication.

          So your "church" will have to be the heterodox, I guess.  Don't get me wrong.  Of course there will be no "intercommunion" or services or whatever.  I know how hard that is, by the way.  I've lived far from a Church in the past, and really, really missed it.  But, there they are: the people in front of you every day, every one a living icon.  It sounds like you're doing a good job (hey, who am I to say, but you mention it) at trying to be open and communicative and accepting.  So your "liturgy" will have to be your work... or watering the grass... or whatever you do.  Buying something at Dunkin' Donuts and talking to the cashier.  Guess that will have to serve for the "kiss of peace."

          And just like John wrote earlier, that can be really transformative.  We can really bring a lot of light out there.  I guess what I'm trying to do is encourage you.  Forgive me if I'm presumptuous.  I'm just really into this idea of, well, if people aren't going to come to MY little church (and they don't!), I'll bring it to THEM!  But just in terms of buying a few donuts or something; not much in the way of preaching, which is not a good idea.

          Keep in touch!

          Eugene

          In my neck of the woods, there are no Orthodox (as understood within HOCNA),  other than yours truly. And so, for me to not be open, communicative, and accepting would be really absurd. I'd have nobody to talk to.
          Regarding the poll, these girls seem pretty normal to me, given the choices presented to them. One choice was to be just an assistant and the others to be somebody of significance. 43.4% chose the assistant role and the others, I assume, chose one of the person of significance roles. I may be wrong and often am, but I think that the 56.6% who chose the more ambitious role may be responding to cultural messages from the National Organization of Women crowd.
          Home school your children if you want them sheltered from undesired cultural messages.
          Elias
          edurkee@verizon. net wrote:

> [...]

          >In Christ, +Fr. Panagiotes
          > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

          Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

        • Demetrios Kouros
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
            I would like to assert, without any opinion, but just as endification to the links between what people observe and and how it may affect them, in regards to SECULAR IDOLATRYHere is a classic example....

            ALBERT BANDURA

            "Observational learning, or modeling

            Of the hundreds of studies Bandura was responsible for, one group stands out above the others -- the bobo doll studies.  He made of film of one of his students, a young woman, essentially beating up a bobo doll.  In case you don’t know, a bobo doll is an inflatable, egg-shape balloon creature with a weight in the bottom that makes it bob back up when you knock him down.  Nowadays, it might have Darth Vader painted on it, but back then it was simply “Bobo” the clown.

            The woman punched the clown, shouting “sockeroo!”  She kicked it, sat on it, hit with a little hammer, and so on, shouting various aggressive phrases.  Bandura showed his film to groups of kindergartners who, as you might predict, liked it a lot.  They then were let out to play.  In the play room, of course, were several observers with pens and clipboards in hand, a brand new bobo doll, and a few little hammers.

            And you might predict as well what the observers recorded:  A lot of little kids beating the daylights out of the bobo doll.  They punched it and shouted “sockeroo,” kicked it, sat on it, hit it with the little hammers, and so on.  In other words, they imitated the young lady in the film, and quite precisely at that.

            This might seem like a real nothing of an experiment at first, but consider:  These children changed their behavior without first being rewarded for approximations to that behavior!  And while that may not seem extraordinary to the average parent, teacher, or casual observer of children, it didn’t fit so well with standard behavioristic learning theory.  He called the phenomenon observational learning or modeling, and his theory is usually called social learning theory.

            Bandura did a large number of variations on the study:  The model was rewarded or punished in a variety of ways, the kids were rewarded for their imitations, the model was changed to be less attractive or less prestigious, and so on.  Responding to criticism that bobo dolls were supposed to be hit, he even did a film of the young woman beating up a live clown.  When the children went into the other room, what should they find there but -- the live clown!  They proceeded to punch him, kick him, hit him with little hammers, and so on. "(Dr. George Boeree, 1998)

            Dr. C. George Boeree. (1998, 2006). Personality Theories. In ALBERT BANDURA 1925 - present. Retrieved July 20, 2007 from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/bandura.html

            For a video of Bandura and this theory go to http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2953790276071699877

            Demetrios James Kouros.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007
              Hello Father,

              As someone who is not a parent yet, I have still often thought of the
              difficulties and influences that this society provides for our youth.
              I think every opportunity should be taken by the parents, to speak to
              children about God's teachings and how our children can be good examples of
              these teachings. I also feel that children should be involved in programs
              that are not limited to sports, dance, etc. Every now and then children
              should participate in volunteer programs that help other children in their
              age groups, suffering from abuse, illness, poverty, etc. It usually only
              requires spending some time playing with these other kids. Instead of
              always hearing how "fortunate" our children are to have their health, a
              loving family and some sort of financial comfort, they can understand for
              themselves how truly blessed they really are. I think these experiences
              will be humbling to our youth, with a better understanding that people
              should not worship or idolize other people. Doing God's work will
              strengthen their faith, teach them humility and understanding so that they
              have the tools to live in this world and deal with all it has to "offer".

              In Christ,
              Panayiota

              >From: "Fr. Panagiotes Carras" <frpanagiotes@...>
              >To: Orthodox Info Egroup <OrthodoxInfo@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [OrthodoxInfo] Share your thoughts with us
              >Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:14:19 -0700 (PDT)
              >
              > SECULAR IDOLATRY
              > According to a new book, Fame Junkies by Jake Halpern, 43.4 percent of
              >teenage girls in the United States, said their primary career goal was
              >"celebrity assistant". They were asked to choose between celebrity
              >assistant, President of Harvard University, CEO of a Fortune 500 Company,
              >U. S. Senator, etc.
              >
              >Infatuation with fame and celebrities, however, is not confined to the
              >young. Television programs such as American idol, Canadian and other
              >national �Idol� programs have a large proportion of adult viewers.
              > North American society, and to a lesser degree, the world as a whole,
              >has become egocentric. Even though it sees itself as a �secular society�,
              >in essence it is a �religious society� that worships the individual. The
              >successful individual becomes a celebrity and an idol. This idol, in a
              >truly demonic manner, is worshiped and hated at the same time. The gossip
              >columns, tabloids and blogs rise in popularity by focusing on the scandals
              >and downfall of these idols.
              > North American educators have been embracing self-esteem-building
              >programs since the early 1970s. One popular program, called Magic Circle,
              >requires one child a day to be given a badge that says �I'm great�. The
              >other children then take turns praising the �great� child and eventually,
              >these compliments are written up and given to the child for posterity.
              >Programs like this were intended to make young people feel better about
              >themselves, but many educators now concede that they may have overshot the
              >mark and fostered a culture of narcissism among North American youth.
              > Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world? How
              >do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the
              >narcissistic loony water that is all around us? Please let us hear from
              >clergy and parents. Share with us what we can do, as Orthodox Christians.
              >

              >In Christ,
              >+Fr. Panagiotes
              >

              >---------------------------------
              >Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's
              >on, when.

              See Fireworks On Live Image Search
              http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP
            • Irene Borody
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007
                Hello Eugene,

                Observation through the eye can too lead one into sin, not just the accusing
                thought.

                In essence you misunderstand the ecuminist movement which surrounds our
                everyday actions, speech, and thought. Your non-Orthodox friends support
                that which is the cause of destruction of the Orthodox faith. Their 'be
                polite' or 'open' or neutral perspective and responsiveness to others, has
                led them so far astray from knowing the truth in their own hearts. Their
                "love" as you call it is only a surface love which can be easily washed
                away. The love which is amongst all mankind but is reflected through the
                Orthodox as examples, is much more deep and most importantly can not be
                easily led astray. You ask your friends, how many different idealistic
                faiths have they experimented with during the course of their "relaxed" and
                "open" life. You will hear them say "Oh I love God, he is here for me...this
                church didnt work for me, yoga didnt feel right, but buda is...well even
                that was only cool for awhile." They are like fine china, once chipped they
                are exposed to other cracks. We faithful Orthodox are not so easily
                manipulated because through holy baptism God has instilled in us the Fear of
                God. And what does fear mean? No it does not mean that we shake at the
                thought of Him, but that we love Him so much that we dare not estray
                ourselves from His love for mankind. We are armed with the invisible trophy.
                Not even the devil can destroy that.
                Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that you have allowed yourself to do
                the same. Blending with others exposes you to the elements which suck all
                others into their own perfect world with their own 'individual' God, which
                sometimes is themselves. You say you pray to God in your own way, thus you
                have pulled yourself away from the foundational pillars of the church. You
                might as well say that you pray with the demonitc music blaring.
                Be careful dear of what you day about our Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
                they have been ordained by our Saviour to be where they are today. The
                Bishop is the Christ on Earth. His "pride" as you call it is only your own
                pride pinching you in the heart...you who said it is a sin to judge another
                person's heart...well your off to a great start. May God protect you from
                ever thinking that again.
                Oh and by the way, why do the Orthodox have to reconciliate with everyone
                else. We have not done anything wrong. God was the one who instructed us to
                do what we are doing today. Everyone else has been lead astray and should be
                asking our Saviour for forgiveness and direction back to the true faith. We
                can pray for them and ask for their foregiveness...which we have and will
                always have to do until the end of time. Thay my brother is the Orthodox way
                of life.
                Be couragous, when you hear of something that you have been taught is wrong,
                dont just let it slide and say "Oh they are entitled to their own opinion."
                If it be God's will the holy spirit will bless you with words which will
                come out of your month and proclaim faith, truth, love for God. Some of us
                have been granted the strenght by God to voice our holy faith, well others
                we are silent. It is better for us to be silent than to communicate to
                others that food which nurishes ecumisum. Thus you have kept your peace and
                have not declared individualism, which furthers your soul from the our
                Saviour.

                May God grant you strenght and endurance as an Orthodox Christian to
                enlighten those around you in a God befitting manner, with strenght, peace,
                and love.

                Irene

> [...]
                >would 'challenge' Fr. Panagiotes to print his letter - he can't know
                >Fr Panagiotes as well as I do, having worked closely with him for 22
                >years!
                >
                >Fr.Eugene is also right when he says: "We have nothing to say about
                >the current culture until the old calendarist/traditional hierarchs
                >can put aside their pride and self interest and really start some
                >reconciliation happening" ... especially in Seattle, where the
                >lawful Hierarch was pushed out, and the former cathedral parish is
                >now under the omophor of another Hierarch a continent away!
                >
                >Right on, Fr. Eugene! Not one clergyman of the former ROCA has come
                >to us after the recent collapse of that Church, and I am convinced
                >it is because of the Seattle debacle. A former member of our Church
                >recently asked me to meet with him, and told me he would come back

                Tell us your tech love story in the Summer Lovin Competition for your chance
                to win laptop loaded with Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Windows Live
                OneCare.
                http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/summerlovin/default.aspx
              • Charlotte
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007

                  Hi Father, Evlogeite!

                  Thanks for the email and for bringing to our attention this important issue. I’ve really enjoyed trying to organize some of my thoughts on the subject. Not sure you should post this (so please feel free not to), but since you asked us to share, here goes, hope it makes sense (and sorry it’s so long!)…

                  We'd probably all agree that idol worship and narcissism have plagued man since the fall. But why are they such prevalent evils today and so widely accepted as 'normal'? At the risk of being too obvious or of over simplifying the issue, I would say the answer is that these evils (along with many others such as greed, gluttony, lust, immodesty and hatred) are so prevalent and accepted today because secular society lacks a 'higher goal’.

                  From what I can tell, most of us (Orthodox and secular alike) are driven to succeed (to varying degrees and according to one’s own understanding of success) and taught to value the importance of this from a young age. Most of us believe that achieving success will ultimately bring us happiness. And isn't happiness what we all really want? If we’re honest with ourselves, isn’t the pursuit of happiness an underlying motivation for most of our actions? And when pursuing happiness in worldly pleasures no longer satisfies us, it can even be a cause for many of us to seek God. And so, it would appear that the problem is not in desiring success and happiness but rather in how we go about trying to achieve it.

                  We can all see that the world teaches its children that success (and therefore happiness) is found primarily in worldly accomplishment (whatever that may be to any given person at any given time). Whereas the Holy Orthodox Church has always taught its children that true 'success', and thus true 'happiness', is achieved only through true knowledge of God, which can only be acquired through an Orthodox life, which (as the holy fathers teach us) consists of acquiring the Holy Spirit (through participation in the church and practicing the virtues).

                  Keeping this and “Fame Junkies” in mind, I don’t see much difference between, say, striving to be president (of anything) and striving to be a celebrity, since the motives behind both goals can be the same and both paths can be equally self-serving and harmful to the soul (if one allows them too be) or a means for doing good. (For the Christian, any path can be used for our souls’ benefit and salvation can be attained wherever we are.) I don’t think it should be surprising to us when girls (and boys and men and woman) want to be close to famous people and desire to be famous themselves. Celebrities express many of the same values held by the average North American and many people look to them as role models, wishing to emulate their lives (the way the Orthodox look to the saints). They’re beautiful, rich, and successful -- and seemingly happy as a direct result. For many, fame (on any level) and all that comes with it (fortune, respect, admiration and love) is synonymous with success, and whether it's accomplished through TV, movies, music, business, politics, sports, art, or even seemingly higher goals like humanism, philanthropy, and environmentalism, doesn't seem to matter. Ultimately, it all leads in the same direction and works toward the same end, namely, to attempt to satisfy our hunger for happiness.

                  That’s not to say that we as Orthodox Christians can't or shouldn't have worldly goals and accomplishments, or that we shouldn’t participate in worldly affairs. And I think it's normal and healthy to respect, admire and recognize people for their talents, abilities, and accomplishments. We can inspire and teach each other through this and it's humbling to learn to ‘give credit where credit is due’. But what does it mean to ‘be in the world and not of it’? I don’t think our faith requires that we all physically withdraw to the caves (as the ascetics). But can’t we all spiritually withdraw to the ‘caves’ of our hearts and minds? The church, instead of telling us what we may or may not do, wisely teaches us that no matter what our circumstances, we need to be innocent (sinless and perfect) yet cunning (in finding ways to attain the Holy Spirit and thus salvation), see (sin for what it is) without seeing (without judging the world) and learn to pray without ceasing (the Jesus prayer). And if 'all is permitted' for the Christian (since we are not legalists) then it must be the responsibility of each of us to learn to recognize the voice of conscience in this (and every situation we face), and to not allow our love for others to become idolatry or our desire for success to become narcissism.

                  Although we may, from time to time or quite frequently, be caught in this snare of the enemy (the snare of self-love which is pride), and may be sorely lacking in clear Orthodox perspective in one way or another (according to our measure of faith) sometimes not even noticing when we are guilty of idolatry, these spiritual illnesses (and all others) can (according to our Holy Fathers) be recognized and treated (with the help of our spiritual 'physicians'). And in general, I don't think it has to be terribly difficult or too much of a struggle for Christians to see for themselves and to teach their children about the harmfulness to the soul of the 'secular way' and how to avoid this 'broad path'. There cannot be a formula, though, or any step by step instructions for everyone to follow which will guarantee success, since we each have to find our own way. But our merciful Lord, out of His love for mankind, has already done the hard work for us, has He not? Not only has He provided the way for our salvation, He has given us everything we need for success in our struggle (against sin), even in these times. He has sent us the Comforter, given us the holy sacraments, and countless examples of holy lives in the saints. He’s even shown us (in part) the reward that awaits the faithful who endure to the end.

                  And no doubt, we need constantly to remind ourselves and our children that there is something far greater to be had in our holy faith (in the church) than what the world offers. We need to prepare our kids (by preparing ourselves) to be self-denying (as our Saviour demonstrated) rather than self-loving. And we ourselves can be assured and promise our children that if we determine to strive courageously in that holy struggle (not necessarily exclusively, but ‘first and above all else’) we won’t be disappointed. That is a promise the world cannot make...

                  Perhaps the real difficulty for Orthodox Christians today lies in being so fearful; fearful of the world, sin and the enemy; fearful that we and our children won't find that 'true success'. Forgetting that our Saviour came for the sick (not the healthy) we tend to ‘blame’ our fallen world for our own spiritual sickness, when in reality, there are no excuses for any of us, and least of all for us Christians. There are many temptations facing all of us all the time but we don’t have to be afraid. (Our Lord who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. Our Lord is Love and love casts out fear). Yes, it's true, we will probably fall and probably have to watch our children fall. Our children may not always heed our warnings nor believe us when we tell them that the world's promise of happiness through worldly success is empty and fleeting at best. We cannot force our children to desire salvation over worldly pleasures. And although we can influence them to make good decisions, they must come to a place where they decide for themselves to turn from sin, seek salvation and consciously struggle for it, and no amount of sheltering them from the world will make that happen. But just as babies learn to walk after falling many times, so can we and our children learn to walk in the faith, if we desire, despite the many evils in us and around us. If we pray, and even if our children suffer a great fall, God will not let them fall away completely or forever, even if we ourselves are but a poor example for them and have not yet reached that 'higher goal’.

                  With love,

                  Charlotte

[...]

                • Mary Bockman Lytle
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007
                    Holy Father, Bless!

                    Always suspicious of such sensational statements as "43.4 percent of
                    teenage girls in the United States said their primary career goal
                    was 'celebrity assistant'", especially when someone is trying to sell
                    a book, I thought I'd check into Halpern's survey, which was the
                    basis for his FAME JUNKIES. Halpern's description of the survey
                    follows below and is worth reading.

                    Jesus told His disciples, "If any man will come after me, let him
                    deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For
                    whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose
                    his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man
                    advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast
                    away?" (Luke 9:23-25).

                    When someone believes that created things are capable of taking care
                    of his life, as many of the respondents of Halpern's survey
                    apparently do, greed -- not God -- becomes the driving value in his
                    life. Idolatrous greed -- devotion to oneself, striving to acquire
                    reputation, status, social contacts, power, wealth, posessions, and
                    fame -- is the age-old scourge of fallen man.

                    "Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world?" We
                    don't.

                    "How do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the
                    narcissistic loony water that is all around us?" We are examples to
                    our children of a God-centered life. We teach them not only by our
                    words, but by our deeds, that our labors are devoted to God's glory,
                    not our own; that the fruits of our labors are the outpouring of
                    God's blessings, not our own achievement. They will learn by our
                    example that God -- not reputation or status or social contacts or
                    power or wealth or posessions or fame -- is the Source of everything
                    we need in this world and the next.

                    In the love of our Saviour,
                    Mary Beth Lytle

                    ___________________

                    THE FAME SURVEY . . .

                    As part of my research for Fame Junkies, I teamed up with several
                    academics and conducted a survey of some 650 teenagers in the
                    Rochester, New York, area. The survey yielded some interesting and
                    disturbing findings on how teens think about fame. Some highlights
                    are included below. Detailed information on how exactly this survey
                    was administered is included at the bottom of this page.

                    OVERVIEW:
                    [1] I'd rather be famous than smart . . .
                    [2] Jennifer Lopez is more popular than Jesus . . .
                    [3] Forget being president of Harvard – Make me a celebrity personal
                    assistant . . .
                    [4] Black kids are more desperate for fame . . .
                    [5] Teens who watch TV and read "glam mags" want and expect fame the
                    most . . .
                    [6] Heavy TV-watchers are especially likely to believe fame will
                    improve their lives . . .
                    [7] Lonely and depressed kids hope that fame will solve their
                    problems . . .
                    [8] Lonely kids are also more likely to follow the lives of
                    celebrities . . .
                    [9] Lonely kids prefer 50 Cent and Paris Hilton to Jesus . . .
                    [10] Kids believe that celebrities deserve their fame . . .

                    [1] I'd rather be Famous than Smart . . .
                    In one of the questions in the survey, teens were given the option
                    of "pressing a magic button" and becoming stronger, smarter, famous,
                    or more beautiful. As it turns out, boys in the survey chose fame
                    almost as often as they chose intelligence, and girls chose it more
                    often.

                    [2] Jennifer Lopez vs. Jesus . . .
                    As part of the survey, students were asked to choose which famous
                    person they would most like to have dinner with. There were a range
                    of options including "none of the above." Among the girls who opted
                    for the dinner, the least popular candidates by far were President
                    Bush (2.7%) and Albert Einstein (3.7%). Far ahead of them were Paris
                    Hilton and 50 Cent (both at 15.8%), who tied for third place. Second
                    place went to Jesus Christ (16.8%) and the winner was Jennifer Lopez
                    (17.4%).

                    [3] Forget being President of Harvard – Make me a Celebrity Personal
                    Assistant . . .
                    Another question asked: "When you grow up, which of the following
                    jobs would you most like to have?" There were five options to chose
                    from and, among girls, the results were as follows: 9.5% chose "the
                    chief of a major company like General Motors"; 9.8% chose "a Navy
                    Seal"; 13.6% chose "a United States Senator"; 23.7% chose "the
                    president of a great university like Harvard or Yale"; and 43.4%
                    chose "the personal assistant to a very famous singer or movie star."
                    It's worth noting: Research psychologists, like Robert Cialdini at
                    Arizona State University, have long suspected that people with low-
                    self esteem are the ones most likely to "bask in the reflected glory"
                    of others. This appears to be true here. For example, among girls who
                    indicated that they received bad grades in school (i.e., C's or
                    below), the percentage who opted to become assistants rose to 67%.
                    What's more, among both boys and girls who got bad grades – and who
                    described themselves as being unpopular at school – the percentage
                    who opted to become assistants rose further to 80%.

                    [4] Black Kids Are More Desperate for Fame . . .
                    African American kids were especially keen on becoming famous. When
                    asked whether they would rather become famous, smarter, stronger, or
                    more beautiful, 42% of them opted for fame whereas only 21% of whites
                    did so. What's more, almost 44% of African Americans said that their
                    families would love them more if they became famous, while only 27%
                    of white students said so.
                    It's Worth Noting: Of course, there are many ways to explain
                    this data, but one factor to be considered is that African American
                    kids often have especially hard childhoods. According to a 2005
                    article in the New York Times, two-thirds of black children are born
                    out of wedlock and nearly half of those children who live in single-
                    parent households are poor. All of this seems to suggest that
                    hardship may be driving many African American kids to embrace fame as
                    a remedy to their woes.

                    [5] Teens who watch TV and read "glam mags" want and expect fame the
                    most . . .
                    According to the study, teenagers who regularly watch certain
                    celebrity-focused TV shows – namely Entertainment Tonight, Access
                    Hollywood, and Insider – are more likely to believe that they
                    themselves will someday become famous. The same trend appears to be
                    true for those teenagers who read celebrity-focused magazines like US
                    Weekly, Star, People, Teen People, YM and J-14. There is also a
                    strong correlation between how many hours of television that
                    teenagers watch in general and how badly they want to become famous.
                    One of the questions on the survey asked: "If you could push a magic
                    button that would change your life in one way, which of the following
                    would you pick?" The options were (a) becoming smarter, (b) becoming
                    much bigger or stronger, (c) becoming famous, (d) becoming more
                    beautiful, and (e) my life doesn't need any changing. Among those
                    teens who watched one hour of television a day or less, only 15% of
                    the boys and 17% of the girls opted for fame. But among those teens
                    who watched five hours or more a day – and a good number of them did –
                    29% of the boys and 37% of the girls opted for fame.
                    It's worth noting: Admittedly, it's unclear whether these TV shows
                    are to blame, or whether the kids are opting to watch these shows
                    because they already believe that they're destined for fame. There is
                    evidence, however, that some TV shows are to blame. One question in
                    the study asks: When you watch TV shows or read magazine articles
                    about the lives of celebrities, how do they make you feel? A number
                    of teens commented that such stories made them feel like they could
                    and would become famous. One wrote: "When I watch TV shows or read
                    magazine articles about the lives of celebrities, this makes me feel
                    like one day I will probably be in their shoes." Another wrote: "They
                    make me feel like one day I'll be there on the magazine, talking or
                    telling people about my life."

                    [6] Heavy TV-watchers are especially likely to believe that fame will
                    improve their lives . . .
                    Findings from the survey also suggest that teenagers who watch
                    television frequently are more likely to believe that fame will
                    improve their lives. For example, teens who watch five hours or more
                    of television a day are significantly more likely than those who
                    watch just an hour or less to agree with the statement, "Becoming a
                    celebrity [will] make you happier." Teens who watch five hours of
                    television or more a day are also twice as likely as those who watch
                    an hour or less to believe that their family will love them more if
                    they become a celebrity.

                    [7] Lonely and depressed kids hope that fame will solve their
                    problems . . .
                    According to the Rochester survey, there is some compelling evidence
                    that children who feel lonely, depressed, and under-appreciated are
                    more likely to seek fame in the hopes that this will make them
                    happier or better liked. For example, teens who described themselves
                    as often or always "depressed" were more likely than others to
                    believe that becoming a celebrity would make them happier. Teenagers
                    who described themselves as feeling "lonely" were also more likely to
                    believe that fame would make a positive impact on their lives –
                    though the results were slightly different for boys and girls. Lonely
                    boys were more likely to reply that fame would simply make
                    them "happy," whereas lonely girls were more likely to answer that
                    fame would make them better liked by kids at school.
                    Ultimately, some of the most compelling evidence about the
                    relationship between loneliness and the desire for fame comes from
                    question #20 on the Rochester survey, which asked: "If you suddenly
                    became a celebrity – like a movie star or a rock star – what would be
                    the best thing about being famous?" The answer for a number of teens
                    was simply companionship. "If I was to become famous, people would
                    probably think I was sooo cool and they would all want to be my
                    friend," wrote one participant. "A lot more people would notice me
                    and my friends might want to be with me more," wrote another. "I
                    would have a lot of friends and I would have a lot of really, really,
                    really nice clothes," wrote a third.

                    [8] Lonely kids are also more likely to follow the lives of
                    celebrities . . .
                    There is also evidence from the Rochester survey that lonely
                    teenagers are especially susceptible to forming para-social
                    relationships with celebrities. Boys who described themselves as
                    lonely were almost twice as likely as those who said they weren't
                    lonely to endorse the statement: "My favorite celebrity just helps me
                    feel good and forget about all of my troubles." Meanwhile, girls who
                    described themselves as lonely were almost three times as likely as
                    those who said they weren't lonely to endorse that statement.

                    [9] Lonely kids preferred 50 Cent and Paris Hilton to Jesus . . .
                    Another interesting phenomenon emerged in a question that asked teens
                    whom they would most like to meet for dinner: Jesus Christ, Albert
                    Einstein, Shaquille O'Neil, Jennifer Lopez, 50 Cent, Paris Hilton, or
                    President Bush. For boys who said they were not lonely, the clear
                    winner was Jesus Christ. For those who described themselves as
                    lonely, however, Jesus finished at the back of the pack and 50 Cent
                    was the clear winner. A similar trend exists for girls who feel
                    underappreciated by their parents, friends, and teachers. These girls
                    tended to favor having dinner with Paris Hilton, whereas those girls
                    who felt appreciated were far more likely to opt for dinner with
                    Jesus Christ. It's hard to know exactly what explains these results,
                    but one interpretation would be that lonely and underappreciated
                    teens are especially desperate to befriend the ultimate popular guy
                    or girl.

                    [10] Kids Believe that Celebrities Deserve their fame . . .
                    In the Rochester survey, teenagers were asked to choose the most
                    likely explanation of why certain celebrities were so successful.
                    There were a number of options including luck, innate talent, hard
                    work, and even the possibility that the entertainment industry simply
                    decides to turn certain people into stars. Of these options, however,
                    more teenagers chose "hard work" than all of the other options
                    combined.

                    Details on Exactly How this Survey Was Administered . . .

                    I. The Basic Information
                    Jake Halpern and Professor Carol M. Liebler of Syracuse University
                    wrote a survey containing 32 questions, most of which were related to
                    fame and pop culture. Copies of this survey were distributed to a
                    total of 653 students at three different schools in and around
                    Rochester, New York. The students were 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th
                    graders. Meredith Hight, a graduate student at Syracuse's Newhouse
                    School of Public Communications, input this data into an SPSS
                    database. Summary responses were tabulated by Professor Elaine Allen
                    at Babson College. Professor Grant segmented the results by
                    demographic information and by several key variables including
                    loneliness and amount of television viewing among others. Analyses
                    were examined using chi-squared statistics, with results having a p-
                    value less than 0.05 determined to be statistically significant.
                    (Statistical Significance implies that there is a relationship
                    between the categories that were being compared.) For good measure,
                    these results were then reviewed and confirmed by Professor Richard
                    McGowan at Boston College. In text below, the details and methodology
                    of this study are explained.

                    II. Why Rochester, New York?
                    In 2004, Josh Herman – who works for a company called Acxiom –
                    authored his "Mirror on America" study, in which he ranked those
                    cities whose consumer demographics most closely reflect that of the
                    U.S. as a whole. Herman did this by using a system called Personicx,
                    which analyzes demographic information such as age, marital status,
                    home ownership, number of children, estimated income, net worth
                    and "urbanicity" (i.e., whether you live in the city, suburbs, or
                    countryside). Using this method, Herman compiled a list of those 150
                    metropolitan areas whose demographics are the best "mirrors" of
                    America as a whole. In September of 2004, Rochester, New York, ranked
                    second on the list.
                    For the most part, Personicx is used by marketers who want to better
                    understand the "consumer landscape" of a given city. Admittedly, for
                    purposes of this survey, the Acxiom study it is not a perfectly ideal
                    tool for measuring the comprehensive demographics of American cities –
                    in the way that the U.S. Census Bureau does, for example – because
                    it does not look at certain factors like race, national origin, or
                    religion. Nonetheless, it does provide a strong indication of which
                    cities are most quintessentially American, and Rochester is at the
                    top of the list.

                    III. Information on the Three Schools in Rochester, N.Y.
                    Three different schools participated in this study, including one in
                    the city of Rochester and two in the suburbs. Some basic information
                    on each of these schools is provided below:

                    1. Monroe High School (Rochester School District): There are 1,192
                    students at this school. Surveys were given to 8th graders during
                    class time. This school has a high percentage of poor and minority
                    students. The total non-white population at Monroe High School is
                    88.1%. The poverty rate at the school is 89.1%, which is defined by
                    the percentage of students who are eligible for a free or reduced-
                    price lunch.
                    2. Twelve Corners Middle School (Brighton School District): There are
                    865 students at this school. It is situated in Brighton, which is a
                    suburb of Rochester. The surveys were given to 6-8th graders during
                    class time in health and "home and career" classes. At this school,
                    the demographics are as follows: 75.8% Caucasian/White, 10.4% Asian,
                    6.8% Black/African-American, and 3.1% Latino.
                    3. Willink Middle School (Webster School District): There are 1,100
                    students at this school. It is situated in Webster, which is a suburb
                    of Rochester. The surveys were given to 6-8th graders at the end of
                    classes and during study halls. At this school, the demographics are
                    as follows: 93.3% Caucasian/White, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.1% African
                    American, 1.8% Asian.

                    IV. Demographic Information on the Participants
                    Of the 653 students who participated in the study, their demographic
                    information is as follows:

                    Gender: There were 312 Males, 310 Females, and 31 subjects who did
                    not indicate their gender.
                    Grade: There were 2 fifth graders, 76 sixth graders, 165 seventh
                    graders, and 377 eighth graders.
                    Race: There were 329 whites/Caucasians, 95 mixed, 62 black/African-
                    American, 58 Hispanic/Latino, and 14 Native American.