RE: [OrthodoxInfo] Share your thoughts with us

  • Tzogas, Athena
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
      This is the world we live in.  Our jobs as parents are to empower our children to be confident, law- abiding Christians capable of functioning
      in the society we live in.  Children do need praise, WHEN deserved.  I don't believe you just tell a child they are great just because.
      To build self esteem a child  also needs to hear constructive criticism, learn from mistakes, accept their short comings and strive for self improvement(emotional and spiritual)
      I don't think that translate to narcissism.  Children raised with Christian values and with strong ties to their Church and Christian faith
      should be able to differentiate between "entertainment" value of television programming versus acceptable/unacceptable behaviour/thoughts.
      I don't believe that making our children ignorant to the world prepares them for adulthood.  They have to learn to overcome these obstacles and temptations
      and it is our job as parents to ensure we do that.

      That said, we have to keep in mind that the examples below are from the entertainment industry.  Fortunately or unfortunately, success for those in the industry is
      a measure of popularity...after all no record or movie sales equals no income. No that does not excuse behaviour by some in the industry but society as a whole has to
      take its share of the blame for feeding and thriving on the shortcomings of  the rich and famous.

      Also a note to the survey results:
      The question is posed to teenage girls who probably have no clue or the maturity level to understand what a CEO or a president of a company does .Interesting that they want to be  assistants and not the idols.  It would be further interesting to see what the average age, school grade and  family income of those teenage girls was. That could say alot about the results.  I take results of surveys with a grain of salt.  Anyone ever taken a stats course knows that results can be easily skewed,interpreted  and presented to support the agenda of the surveyor.

      Athena

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
        Father, bless!

        I agree that the whole "self-esteem" business has gotten out of hand
        these days, and also that it's an increasingly difficult task to
        be "in the world but not of the world."

        It's natural for babies and small children to be self-centered, but
        in the old days kids outgrew that pretty quickly as they had to take
        on more responsibilities and become contributing members of their
        families and communities. It doesn't do much good to tell a
        child, "Hey, it's not all about you" -- they have to become involved
        in something larger and more important than themselves before they
        can really understand that. There are plenty of opportunities out
        there, whether it's doing the walk-a-thon for Ugandan orphans, or
        collecting canned goods for a food bank, or going on trips with the
        St. Paul Fellowship of Labor to help out in different parishes and
        monasteries. Admittedly, it's a bit easier if you're part of a large
        parish where there are organized youth groups that always seem to
        have some worthwhile projects going on, as well as wholesome "fun"
        actitivies that the kids can do together, but even isolated Orthodox
        families can find ways that they and their children can live their
        faith by doing things for other people.

        Of course, if we don't want to come across as total hypocrites, the
        kids also have to see US practicing what we preach! Do they see us
        going to services and keeping the fasts without grumbling? Do they
        see us expending our time and energies for the Philoptochos, the
        Sunday school, the summer camps? Do they see us making good choices
        about what books to read, what movies or television programs to watch
        (if we watch at all), how we dress and speak? How do we treat other
        people in general -- are we loving and giving, or harsh and
        judgmental? Do we look down on other people because of their race, or
        social standing, or religion, or do we constantly remind ourselves
        that harlots and publicans (and at least some non-Orthodox) will
        enter the Kingdom of Heaven before us? The kids may sometimes roll
        their eyes at us now, but years from now they may well look back and
        ask themselves, "What would Mom or Dad have done in this situation?"
        Scary thought for those of us who are supposed to be setting the
        example!
      • patricia patty
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
          Hello Father,

          As someone who is not a parent yet, I have still often thought of the
          difficulties and influences that this society provides for our youth.
          I think every opportunity should be taken by the parents, to speak to
          children about God's teachings and how our children can be good examples of
          these teachings. I also feel that children should be involved in programs
          that are not limited to sports, dance, etc. Every now and then children
          should participate in volunteer programs that help other children in their
          age groups, suffering from abuse, illness, poverty, etc. It usually only
          requires spending some time playing with these other kids. Instead of
          always hearing how "fortunate" our children are to have their health, a
          loving family and some sort of financial comfort, they can understand for
          themselves how truly blessed they really are. I think these experiences
          will be humbling to our youth, with a better understanding that people
          should not worship or idolize other people. Doing God's work will
          strengthen their faith, teach them humility and understanding so that they
          have the tools to live in this world and deal with all it has to "offer".

          In Christ,
          Panayiota

          >From: "Fr. Panagiotes Carras" <frpanagiotes@...>
          >To: Orthodox Info Egroup <OrthodoxInfo@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [OrthodoxInfo] Share your thoughts with us
          >Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:14:19 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          > SECULAR IDOLATRY
          > According to a new book, Fame Junkies by Jake Halpern, 43.4 percent of
          >teenage girls in the United States, said their primary career goal was
          >"celebrity assistant". They were asked to choose between celebrity
          >assistant, President of Harvard University, CEO of a Fortune 500 Company,
          >U. S. Senator, etc.
          >
          >Infatuation with fame and celebrities, however, is not confined to the
          >young. Television programs such as American idol, Canadian and other
          >national �Idol� programs have a large proportion of adult viewers.
          > North American society, and to a lesser degree, the world as a whole,
          >has become egocentric. Even though it sees itself as a �secular society�,
          >in essence it is a �religious society� that worships the individual. The
          >successful individual becomes a celebrity and an idol. This idol, in a
          >truly demonic manner, is worshiped and hated at the same time. The gossip
          >columns, tabloids and blogs rise in popularity by focusing on the scandals
          >and downfall of these idols.
          > North American educators have been embracing self-esteem-building
          >programs since the early 1970s. One popular program, called Magic Circle,
          >requires one child a day to be given a badge that says �I'm great�. The
          >other children then take turns praising the �great� child and eventually,
          >these compliments are written up and given to the child for posterity.
          >Programs like this were intended to make young people feel better about
          >themselves, but many educators now concede that they may have overshot the
          >mark and fostered a culture of narcissism among North American youth.
          > Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world? How
          >do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the
          >narcissistic loony water that is all around us? Please let us hear from
          >clergy and parents. Share with us what we can do, as Orthodox Christians.
          >

          >In Christ,
          >+Fr. Panagiotes
          >

          >---------------------------------
          >Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's
          >on, when.

          Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!�
          http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2
        • j_presson2003
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
            Or perhaps a small parochial school movement in HOCNA? Perhaps it could
            start as a network of Orthodox homeschoolers? THe enemy without has
            changed the world through the schools -why can't in a small way we do
            the same thing? It's easier to be agaisnt something than for
            something, after all, as someone said

            JPP -

            --- In OrthodoxInfo@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Dorrance <jeffdorrance@...>
            wrote:
            I may be wrong and often am, but I think that the 56.6% who chose the
            more ambitious role may be responding to cultural messages from the
            National Organization of Women crowd.
            > Home school your children if you want them sheltered from undesired
            cultural messages.
            > Elias

          • frdavidbelden
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
              --- In OrthodoxInfo@yahoogroups.com, <edurkee@...> wrote:

              > Dear Father, Bless!
              >
              > It's a sin to judge another person's heart. Yet, at times one
              can't help but notice behaviors, and have observations on them.

              > My friends are a mix of Orthodox (very few), Quakers, atheists,
              Baptists, Hindus, etc. Mostly musicians. There are only two rules
              or codes of behavior in musical circles: be polite, and play well.

              > Like I said, although it's a sin to judge, one can't help but
              observe. And what I've observed is that my musician, non-Orthodox
              friends, tend to be more accepting, more communicative, more
              committed to looking at their own faults, more open to new
              acquaintances -- and, in a word, at least more OPEN to the
              possibility of love -- than most of my Orthodox acquaintances.

              > So in answer to your question, I'd say that we have ourselves to
              become more willing to look at our own faults, more open to new
              relationships, more willing to listen than to form opinions. That
              would be a good start.

              > Orthodox people CERTAINLY don't have the monopoly on the virtues.
              In my observation, most of the people I know who are most actively
              cultivating the virtues (e.g., humility, honesty, kindness,
              compassion, and above all, a strict attention to one's own faults),
              are NOT Orthodox.

              > We have nothing to say about the current culture, at least until
              the old calendar/traditionalist hierarchs can put aside their pride
              and self-interest and really start some reconciliation happening.

              > Meanwhile, I'll go to church and worship God in my own way,
              because that's where the truth is. I'll spend time with my
              heterodox friends, because they're just a whole lot nicer and more
              level-headed.

              > I DARE you to share what I've written. And one more thing:
              this "time to circle the wagons" stuff is a crock of nonsense.
              We're supposed to blow the doors off -- not lock them.

              > With respect, in Christ,
              >
              > Eugene
              >
              > >From: "Fr. Panagiotes Carras" <frpanagiotes@...>
              > >Date: 2007/07/19 Thu PM 12:14:19 CDT
              > >To: Orthodox Info Egroup <OrthodoxInfo@yahoogroups.com>
              > >Subject: [OrthodoxInfo] Share your thoughts with us
              >

              > > SECULAR IDOLATRY According to a new book, Fame Junkies by
              Jake Halpern, 43.4 percent of teenage girls in the United States,
              said their primary career goal was "celebrity assistant".  They
              were asked to choose between celebrity assistant, President of
              Harvard University, CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, U. S. Senator,
              etc.
              > >Infatuation with fame and celebrities, however, is not confined
              to the young.  Television programs such as American idol,
              Canadian and other national ÂÂ"IdolÂÂ" programs have a large
              proportion of adult viewers. North American society, and to a
              lesser degree, the world as a whole, has become egocentric.  Even
              though it sees itself as a ÂÂ"secular societyÂÂ", in essence it is
              a ÂÂ"religious societyÂÂ" that worships the individual.  The
              successful individual becomes a celebrity and an idol.  This
              idol, in a truly demonic manner, is worshiped and hated at the same
              time.  The gossip columns, tabloids and blogs rise in popularity
              by focusing on the scandals and downfall of these idols. North
              American educators have been embracing self-esteem-building programs
              since the early 1970s. One popular program, called Magic Circle,
              requires one child a day to be given a badge that says ÂÂ"I'm
              greatÂÂ". The other children then take turns praising the
              ÂÂ"greatÂÂ" child and eventually, these compliments are written up
              and given to the child for posterity. Programs like this were
              intended to make young people feel better about themselves, but many
              educators now concede that they may have overshot the mark and
              fostered a culture of narcissism among North American youth.
              Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world?
              How do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the
              narcissistic loony water that is all around us?  Please let us
              hear from clergy and parents.  Share with us what we can do, as
              Orthodox Christians.

              > >In Christ, +Fr. Panagiotes
              > > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge
              to see what's on, when.

              I couldn't agree more with Fr. Deacon Eugene. I just hope that when
              he says: "I'll go to church and worship God in my own way" that he
              means the True Orthodox way. I'm surprised that Fr. Eugene
              would 'challenge' Fr. Panagiotes to print his letter - he can't know
              Fr Panagiotes as well as I do, having worked closely with him for 22
              years!

              Fr.Eugene is also right when he says: "We have nothing to say about
              the current culture until the old calendarist/traditional hierarchs
              can put aside their pride and self interest and really start some
              reconciliation happening" ... especially in Seattle, where the
              lawful Hierarch was pushed out, and the former cathedral parish is
              now under the omophor of another Hierarch a continent away!

              Right on, Fr. Eugene! Not one clergyman of the former ROCA has come
              to us after the recent collapse of that Church, and I am convinced
              it is because of the Seattle debacle. A former member of our Church
              recently asked me to meet with him, and told me he would come back
              except for the reasons cited above.

              Fr. David +
            • Ann K
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                Dear Father, Bless

                It's really interesting reading all the thoughts of our people.  I agree with Tammi.
                My children were brought up with bible stories.  Church was and is the center of our life.  Prayer and blessings and chanting was always around us.  When the kids were young, I read a book about raising children.  It said to prepare the foundation as if you were planting a tree.  A tree needs good soil - the parents prepare the home environment for raising a child.  I had icons in their bedrooms.  Each child had their saint's icon.  Storybooks were bible stories and Saints' lives.  No posters or pictures were allowed in their rooms.  The home was treated with respect.  We didn't draw on walls or stand on furniture.  But we did play in the mud.  And each play was given a lesson... God created the world.  Look at the mud --Adam was made.... A young tree needs a stake to train it to grow straight.  Parents need to become that stake.  What they do will be mirrored by their children.  What they allow and don't allow will help the children grow strong.  We helped our children and raised them Orthodox.  They had many friends growing up and they choose which were good friends and which were not.  We guided them.... My daughter had a neighbor friend her age ( she was seven at that time) who went to the park and started "french kissing" two boys.  She came home and told me about it and we had a long discusion about her and the situation.  She then decided that she wouldn't play with this girl again.  I spend a great deal of time giving them true models to follow.  My daughter would name all her dolls "Katherine" and "Theodora" and my son was always thinking about "What would Christouli do in this situation or what would Panageitsa think about that"...and so on...  Why were there so many different types of people and colours and so many questions like that.  We would then talk about Noah and the flood.  It's important to really know your faith and to pass it on to your children.  Teach them about the differences too.  They will have many different friends and they will have a chance to explain their faith to them and know the differences about the other religions too.  We did the best we could.... If I could go back and do it again....I would home-school them because the schools did a lot of damage.

                Oh and never lie to the children...ever...the truth will help them tell the truth....
                Just my thoughts, father, bless!

                Yours in Christ,
                Anastasia

                "Fr. Panagiotes Carras" <frpanagiotes@...> wrote:
[...]

              • J P
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                  Father Panagiotes and fellow Orthodox Christians,

                  I'm not sure of what value I can bring to this topic
                  being as I'm not a parent and still have so much to
                  learn about our Faith. But, ironically enough, this
                  very topic of new age idols was brought up not so very
                  long ago. We've replaced pagan idols with idols of the
                  flesh, whether they be athletes, movie stars or just
                  rich individuals who need to have every nuance of
                  their lives reported on by the media. Materialism and
                  the size of one's wallet is valued while spirituality
                  has gone by the wayside. Society at large has
                  forgotten what is truly important. Christmas has
                  become X-mas and the meaning has been lost while we
                  are told to "buy buy buy" to make each other happy and
                  content. I'm reminded of what was told to myself which
                  has lingered in my mind. That we are to raise "saints"
                  and that our homes are to be "churches". We might not
                  be able to change the world but we can bring a little
                  "light" into our small corner of it. As someone has
                  stated, we cannot point fingers when we only have to
                  look into the mirror of our own selves. We are to be
                  the examples, to be "Christ-like" so that when we say
                  we have the whole Truth we can be living examples of
                  it. Children may have outside influences, but the
                  greatest influences are the parents. If I am to be a
                  parent, I have to be the example and I will be the one
                  held accountable. We cannot expect our children to be
                  humble, to love God with all their hearts, when we are
                  lacking. We need to pray more, fast more, humble
                  ourselves and ask for God's help and mercy. We need to
                  instill in our children that the "heroes" are not the
                  ones scoring goals, who have achieved fame or have
                  accumulated the most wealth but are the Saints of the
                  Church who struggled and/or martyred for the Faith. We
                  need to educate ourselves more about Orthodoxy, ask
                  for spiritual guidance, "fix" ourselves first before
                  we can presume to pick at the inadequacies of others.
                  Our children are our lasting legacy...the ones where
                  our future priests, bishops, "saints" will come from.
                  This is our sacred duty..to pass on the Traditions of
                  the Church. Everything else, dealing with the
                  practical issues of the world, need to filtered
                  through an Orthodox perspective. For this to be
                  achieved, we cannot just shirk the duty ourselves and
                  expect it from just our priests. Each of us, belong to
                  the Body Of Christ and as such, we need to present
                  ourselves and live our lives with this in mind...

                  humbly yours,

                  Demetre

                  <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47093/*http:/tv.yahoo.com/collections/222>
                  > with an Edge to see what's on, when.

                  Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca
                • Dr. Photini Dimock
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007

                    Wow! I couldn’t agree more with your thoughts regarding this very important issue. Thank you so much!  Dr Photini Dimock

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                      Dear Fr. Pangiotes,
                      God Bless you for writing this interesting but incendiary subject if that is the correct title for this subject. Maybe most or some of  us are living on a thin line but dont know what to do.
                      Gone are the days of taking those goddess and god statues out of various hues, nationalities and whatnot and smashing them and then doing the cleansing rites as described in the Old Testament times. We have replaced them with tv shows like American Idol and other forms of Secular Idolatry.( And if one can turn on the radio talkshows on weekends you can hear a local talkshow host talk about the tactics being used on the tv show American Idol.) And as for our egocentrical ways it shows in the way we vote for the sons of men in various forms of city, state and federal government who promise us the moon and stars and then turn around and stick us with bait and switch. Its further side effects are felt in various places around the world. How long shall some or most of us drink the kool aid or the loony water is question we need to ponder? And the answer lies in the heart.

[...]

                    • jerinicm
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                        Evlogeite, Fr. Panagiotes:

                        It is charcacteristic of persons past a certain age--I number myself
                        among them--to make pronouncements on the way that America is sunk
                        in a cesspit of stupidity, egoism, and barbarism (true), while the
                        whole word is going to perdition (also true).

                        Yet I agree with Father Eugene that we would do better to
                        concentrate on ourselves rather than those without. And for
                        ourselves, I would suggest a positive effort to encourage ourselves
                        and our children in the Faith rather than this constant carping
                        against the world. Indeed, last October, at the clergy-laity
                        meeting, the delegates recommended a positive campaign to teach
                        Orthodoxy. Let the kids see how wonderful our Faith is and develop
                        some healthy enthusiasm.

                        Orthodoxy is not a religion of "Don'ts"--don't see this movie, don't
                        do that, don't wear the other thing--although it may seem so to our
                        young people, as well as to those "without." Nor do the heterodox,
                        even those of good will, find this approach endearing.

                        Let's concentrate on Orthodoxy as a religion of "Do's." Do love God,
                        do say your prayers, do go to church. If you have the inclination,
                        Do chant in the choir, Do paint an icon, and so on.

                        The world is a dire threat, but let us look upward, not into the pit.

                        Forgive me, dear people, if I have offended any of you.

                        In Christ,

                        Margaret Jerinic

                        --- In OrthodoxInfo@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Panagiotes Carras"
                        <frpanagiotes@...> wrote:

                        > SECULAR IDOLATRY
                        > According to a new book, Fame Junkies by Jake Halpern, 43.4
                        percent of teenage girls in the United States, said their primary
                        career goal was "celebrity assistant". They were asked to choose
                        between celebrity assistant, President of Harvard University, CEO of
                        a Fortune 500 Company, U. S. Senator, etc.

                        > Infatuation with fame and celebrities, however, is not confined to
                        the young. Television programs such as American idol, Canadian and
                        other national "Idol" programs have a large proportion of adult
                        viewers.
                        > North American society, and to a lesser degree, the world as a
                        whole, has become egocentric. Even though it sees itself as
                        a "secular society", in essence it is a "religious society" that
                        worships the individual. The successful individual becomes a
                        celebrity and an idol. This idol, in a truly demonic manner, is
                        worshiped and hated at the same time. The gossip columns, tabloids
                        and blogs rise in popularity by focusing on the scandals and
                        downfall of these idols.
                        > North American educators have been embracing self-esteem-
                        building programs since the early 1970s. One popular program, called
                        Magic Circle, requires one child a day to be given a badge that
                        says "I'm great". The other children then take turns praising
                        the "great" child and eventually, these compliments are written up
                        and given to the child for posterity. Programs like this were
                        intended to make young people feel better about themselves, but many
                        educators now concede that they may have overshot the mark and
                        fostered a culture of narcissism among North American youth.
                        > Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous
                        world? How do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking
                        from the narcissistic loony water that is all around us? Please let
                        us hear from clergy and parents. Share with us what we can do, as
                        Orthodox Christians.

                        > In Christ,
                        > +Fr. Panagiotes
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------
                        > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see
                        what's on, when.

                      • eugene
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                          Hi, John,

                          You said below very eloquently what I was trying to express.  What is "the hope that is within us," for which we are called to give account, when asked?  Is it the hope that our children will keep the fasts and their chastity until their dying breath?  Well, I HOPE so!  But I don't think that's THE hope, the one within us, that we should be able to give an account of.

                          It's a very, very bad thing when an organization begins to define itself by what it is not, and what it doesn't do; as opposed to what it is, and what it does.  This goes for any organization -- and any individual.

                          I asked Metropolitan Ephraim once why he had to distribute so many articles about how bad the Muslims are, rather than some articles that would actually help us negotiate our daily relationships.  And he said that material on how to live as an Orthodox Christian was easily obtained from the Lives of the Saints, the Scripture, and some articles that evidently our diocese had produced (which I'm not familiar with).

                          Ah yes: but even St. Cosmas of Aetolia said that these sacred sources need some "unpacking."  I'll get back to this unpacking business later.  Meanwhile, I'd like to point out that instead, what we have "unpacked" for us in article after article, email after email is this: the Muslims are against us.  The secular humanists are against us.  The media is against us.  The public schools are against us.  The homosexuals are against us.  In fact, the whole WORLD is against us.  Ad nauseum.  Forgive me.

                          I understand very well that the world is under the power of the evil one and that we have to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.  But do we want, venerable Fathers, brothers and sisters... do we want our children growing up with a profound sense that everyone is against them?  Or do we want our children free from fear?  Free from anger?

                          One of our brave young people once said that she expected the Church to do just one thing for her: prepare her to receive Holy Communion.  I told that to my oldest son once, God keep him (God keep both of them), and he thought that was wonderful.  If we've got that, we've got everything.  If God is for us, who can be against us?

                          To cut this short, I'd like to make a suggestion.  Why don't we all in this elist bravely trespass and talk some theology.  Let's talk about what the Faith means to us in terms of positives.  Here; I'll start:

                          1)    It means that I have within me a mysterious sense of eternal glory and blessedness that I can never quite define or describe, but which seems to sustain me through the worst of personal tragedies.

                          2)    It means that I can truly have NO FEAR.  Because again, if God is for me, who can be against me?

                          3)    It means that I can fearlessly, again, face my own shortcomings (anger, depression, anxiety, the whole list of the passions), and realize that I am so much more than that, because God in Christ has made me more than that.

                          4)    It means, on the basis of the above, that any criticism a friend or spouse or colleague has to make of me, can be heard, thought through, and responded to with honesty, because again: I am not afraid.  In other words, it means I can admit that I'm wrong, really wrong, on many occasions.

                          5)    It means that I don't have to care what any person, or any institution, thinks of me, because I already know what God thinks of me: "Who loved me, and gave Himself for me."

                          A couple closing points:  I'm not a deacon any longer -- just Eugene.  Secondly, it was pointed out to me by Demetrios A. that my earlier posting sounded negative.  For that, I sincerely ask forgiveness, especially from Fr. Panagiotes.  I admit that I have an anger in me that is troublesome.  I bear the responsibility, and must work to correct that anger, with God's help.  Thirdly, it was asked if I was still an Orthodox Christian.  Yes, and by God's grace hope to remain so until my death.

                          John -- thank you so much for your post.  Where are you?  Where do you live?  Where's your parish?  And again, I think I'd really enjoy hearing what other people have to say about their Faith -- what is IS, rather than what it is NOT.  Any takers?

                          In Christ,

                          Eugene

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                            Hi, Elias,

                            Thank you.  I think I've met you once before at a conference or something... hope you're well and happy.

                            I'd like to risk saying something strange.  In your "neck of the woods," as you say, there are no Orthodox.  In other words, there is no Church.  You ARE the Church, then, in your neck of the woods.  But since like anyone you're a LIVING Church, that will include all your network of relationships with the heterodox, which is also a living thing, that network, that communication.

                            So your "church" will have to be the heterodox, I guess.  Don't get me wrong.  Of course there will be no "intercommunion" or services or whatever.  I know how hard that is, by the way.  I've lived far from a Church in the past, and really, really missed it.  But, there they are: the people in front of you every day, every one a living icon.  It sounds like you're doing a good job (hey, who am I to say, but you mention it) at trying to be open and communicative and accepting.  So your "liturgy" will have to be your work... or watering the grass... or whatever you do.  Buying something at Dunkin' Donuts and talking to the cashier.  Guess that will have to serve for the "kiss of peace."

                            And just like John wrote earlier, that can be really transformative.  We can really bring a lot of light out there.  I guess what I'm trying to do is encourage you.  Forgive me if I'm presumptuous.  I'm just really into this idea of, well, if people aren't going to come to MY little church (and they don't!), I'll bring it to THEM!  But just in terms of buying a few donuts or something; not much in the way of preaching, which is not a good idea.

                            Keep in touch!

                            Eugene

                            In my neck of the woods, there are no Orthodox (as understood within HOCNA),  other than yours truly. And so, for me to not be open, communicative, and accepting would be really absurd. I'd have nobody to talk to.
                            Regarding the poll, these girls seem pretty normal to me, given the choices presented to them. One choice was to be just an assistant and the others to be somebody of significance. 43.4% chose the assistant role and the others, I assume, chose one of the person of significance roles. I may be wrong and often am, but I think that the 56.6% who chose the more ambitious role may be responding to cultural messages from the National Organization of Women crowd.
                            edurkee@verizon. net wrote:

> [...]

                            >In Christ, +Fr. Panagiotes
                            > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

                            Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

                          • Demetrios Kouros
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 20, 2007
                              I would like to assert, without any opinion, but just as endification to the links between what people observe and and how it may affect them, in regards to SECULAR IDOLATRYHere is a classic example....

                              ALBERT BANDURA

                              "Observational learning, or modeling

                              Of the hundreds of studies Bandura was responsible for, one group stands out above the others -- the bobo doll studies.  He made of film of one of his students, a young woman, essentially beating up a bobo doll.  In case you don’t know, a bobo doll is an inflatable, egg-shape balloon creature with a weight in the bottom that makes it bob back up when you knock him down.  Nowadays, it might have Darth Vader painted on it, but back then it was simply “Bobo” the clown.

                              The woman punched the clown, shouting “sockeroo!”  She kicked it, sat on it, hit with a little hammer, and so on, shouting various aggressive phrases.  Bandura showed his film to groups of kindergartners who, as you might predict, liked it a lot.  They then were let out to play.  In the play room, of course, were several observers with pens and clipboards in hand, a brand new bobo doll, and a few little hammers.

                              And you might predict as well what the observers recorded:  A lot of little kids beating the daylights out of the bobo doll.  They punched it and shouted “sockeroo,” kicked it, sat on it, hit it with the little hammers, and so on.  In other words, they imitated the young lady in the film, and quite precisely at that.

                              This might seem like a real nothing of an experiment at first, but consider:  These children changed their behavior without first being rewarded for approximations to that behavior!  And while that may not seem extraordinary to the average parent, teacher, or casual observer of children, it didn’t fit so well with standard behavioristic learning theory.  He called the phenomenon observational learning or modeling, and his theory is usually called social learning theory.

                              Bandura did a large number of variations on the study:  The model was rewarded or punished in a variety of ways, the kids were rewarded for their imitations, the model was changed to be less attractive or less prestigious, and so on.  Responding to criticism that bobo dolls were supposed to be hit, he even did a film of the young woman beating up a live clown.  When the children went into the other room, what should they find there but -- the live clown!  They proceeded to punch him, kick him, hit him with little hammers, and so on. "(Dr. George Boeree, 1998)

                              Dr. C. George Boeree. (1998, 2006). Personality Theories. In ALBERT BANDURA 1925 - present. Retrieved July 20, 2007 from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/bandura.html

                              For a video of Bandura and this theory go to http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2953790276071699877

                              Demetrios James Kouros.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007
> [...]

                                >other children then take turns praising the �great� child and eventually,
                                >these compliments are written up and given to the child for posterity.
                                >Programs like this were intended to make young people feel better about
                                >themselves, but many educators now concede that they may have overshot the
                                >mark and fostered a culture of narcissism among North American youth.
                                > Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world? How
                                >do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the
                                >narcissistic loony water that is all around us? Please let us hear from
                                >clergy and parents. Share with us what we can do, as Orthodox Christians.
                                >

                                >In Christ,
                                >+Fr. Panagiotes
                                >

                                >---------------------------------
                                >Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's

                                See Fireworks On Live Image Search
                                http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP
                              • Irene Borody
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007
                                  Hello Eugene,

                                  Observation through the eye can too lead one into sin, not just the accusing
                                  thought.

                                  In essence you misunderstand the ecuminist movement which surrounds our
                                  everyday actions, speech, and thought. Your non-Orthodox friends support
                                  that which is the cause of destruction of the Orthodox faith. Their 'be
                                  polite' or 'open' or neutral perspective and responsiveness to others, has
                                  led them so far astray from knowing the truth in their own hearts. Their
                                  "love" as you call it is only a surface love which can be easily washed
                                  away. The love which is amongst all mankind but is reflected through the
                                  Orthodox as examples, is much more deep and most importantly can not be
                                  easily led astray. You ask your friends, how many different idealistic
                                  faiths have they experimented with during the course of their "relaxed" and
                                  "open" life. You will hear them say "Oh I love God, he is here for me...this
                                  church didnt work for me, yoga didnt feel right, but buda is...well even
                                  that was only cool for awhile." They are like fine china, once chipped they
                                  are exposed to other cracks. We faithful Orthodox are not so easily
                                  manipulated because through holy baptism God has instilled in us the Fear of
                                  God. And what does fear mean? No it does not mean that we shake at the
                                  thought of Him, but that we love Him so much that we dare not estray
                                  ourselves from His love for mankind. We are armed with the invisible trophy.
                                  Not even the devil can destroy that.
                                  Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that you have allowed yourself to do
                                  the same. Blending with others exposes you to the elements which suck all
                                  others into their own perfect world with their own 'individual' God, which
                                  sometimes is themselves. You say you pray to God in your own way, thus you
                                  have pulled yourself away from the foundational pillars of the church. You
                                  might as well say that you pray with the demonitc music blaring.
                                  Be careful dear of what you day about our Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
                                  they have been ordained by our Saviour to be where they are today. The
                                  Bishop is the Christ on Earth. His "pride" as you call it is only your own
                                  pride pinching you in the heart...you who said it is a sin to judge another
                                  person's heart...well your off to a great start. May God protect you from
                                  ever thinking that again.
                                  Oh and by the way, why do the Orthodox have to reconciliate with everyone
                                  else. We have not done anything wrong. God was the one who instructed us to
                                  do what we are doing today. Everyone else has been lead astray and should be
                                  asking our Saviour for forgiveness and direction back to the true faith. We
                                  can pray for them and ask for their foregiveness...which we have and will
                                  always have to do until the end of time. Thay my brother is the Orthodox way
                                  of life.
                                  Be couragous, when you hear of something that you have been taught is wrong,
                                  dont just let it slide and say "Oh they are entitled to their own opinion."
                                  If it be God's will the holy spirit will bless you with words which will
                                  come out of your month and proclaim faith, truth, love for God. Some of us
                                  have been granted the strenght by God to voice our holy faith, well others
                                  we are silent. It is better for us to be silent than to communicate to
                                  others that food which nurishes ecumisum. Thus you have kept your peace and
                                  have not declared individualism, which furthers your soul from the our
                                  Saviour.

                                  May God grant you strenght and endurance as an Orthodox Christian to
                                  enlighten those around you in a God befitting manner, with strenght, peace,
                                  and love.

                                  Irene

> [...]
                                  >would 'challenge' Fr. Panagiotes to print his letter - he can't know
                                  >Fr Panagiotes as well as I do, having worked closely with him for 22
                                  >years!
                                  >
                                  >Fr.Eugene is also right when he says: "We have nothing to say about
                                  >the current culture until the old calendarist/traditional hierarchs
                                  >can put aside their pride and self interest and really start some
                                  >reconciliation happening" ... especially in Seattle, where the
                                  >lawful Hierarch was pushed out, and the former cathedral parish is
                                  >now under the omophor of another Hierarch a continent away!
                                  >
                                  >Right on, Fr. Eugene! Not one clergyman of the former ROCA has come
                                  >to us after the recent collapse of that Church, and I am convinced
                                  >it is because of the Seattle debacle. A former member of our Church
                                  >recently asked me to meet with him, and told me he would come back

                                  Tell us your tech love story in the Summer Lovin Competition for your chance
                                  to win laptop loaded with Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Windows Live
                                  OneCare.
                                  http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/summerlovin/default.aspx
                                • Charlotte
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007

                                    Hi Father, Evlogeite!

                                    Thanks for the email and for bringing to our attention this important issue. I’ve really enjoyed trying to organize some of my thoughts on the subject. Not sure you should post this (so please feel free not to), but since you asked us to share, here goes, hope it makes sense (and sorry it’s so long!)…

                                    We'd probably all agree that idol worship and narcissism have plagued man since the fall. But why are they such prevalent evils today and so widely accepted as 'normal'? At the risk of being too obvious or of over simplifying the issue, I would say the answer is that these evils (along with many others such as greed, gluttony, lust, immodesty and hatred) are so prevalent and accepted today because secular society lacks a 'higher goal’.

                                    From what I can tell, most of us (Orthodox and secular alike) are driven to succeed (to varying degrees and according to one’s own understanding of success) and taught to value the importance of this from a young age. Most of us believe that achieving success will ultimately bring us happiness. And isn't happiness what we all really want? If we’re honest with ourselves, isn’t the pursuit of happiness an underlying motivation for most of our actions? And when pursuing happiness in worldly pleasures no longer satisfies us, it can even be a cause for many of us to seek God. And so, it would appear that the problem is not in desiring success and happiness but rather in how we go about trying to achieve it.

                                    We can all see that the world teaches its children that success (and therefore happiness) is found primarily in worldly accomplishment (whatever that may be to any given person at any given time). Whereas the Holy Orthodox Church has always taught its children that true 'success', and thus true 'happiness', is achieved only through true knowledge of God, which can only be acquired through an Orthodox life, which (as the holy fathers teach us) consists of acquiring the Holy Spirit (through participation in the church and practicing the virtues).

                                    Keeping this and “Fame Junkies” in mind, I don’t see much difference between, say, striving to be president (of anything) and striving to be a celebrity, since the motives behind both goals can be the same and both paths can be equally self-serving and harmful to the soul (if one allows them too be) or a means for doing good. (For the Christian, any path can be used for our souls’ benefit and salvation can be attained wherever we are.) I don’t think it should be surprising to us when girls (and boys and men and woman) want to be close to famous people and desire to be famous themselves. Celebrities express many of the same values held by the average North American and many people look to them as role models, wishing to emulate their lives (the way the Orthodox look to the saints). They’re beautiful, rich, and successful -- and seemingly happy as a direct result. For many, fame (on any level) and all that comes with it (fortune, respect, admiration and love) is synonymous with success, and whether it's accomplished through TV, movies, music, business, politics, sports, art, or even seemingly higher goals like humanism, philanthropy, and environmentalism, doesn't seem to matter. Ultimately, it all leads in the same direction and works toward the same end, namely, to attempt to satisfy our hunger for happiness.

                                    That’s not to say that we as Orthodox Christians can't or shouldn't have worldly goals and accomplishments, or that we shouldn’t participate in worldly affairs. And I think it's normal and healthy to respect, admire and recognize people for their talents, abilities, and accomplishments. We can inspire and teach each other through this and it's humbling to learn to ‘give credit where credit is due’. But what does it mean to ‘be in the world and not of it’? I don’t think our faith requires that we all physically withdraw to the caves (as the ascetics). But can’t we all spiritually withdraw to the ‘caves’ of our hearts and minds? The church, instead of telling us what we may or may not do, wisely teaches us that no matter what our circumstances, we need to be innocent (sinless and perfect) yet cunning (in finding ways to attain the Holy Spirit and thus salvation), see (sin for what it is) without seeing (without judging the world) and learn to pray without ceasing (the Jesus prayer). And if 'all is permitted' for the Christian (since we are not legalists) then it must be the responsibility of each of us to learn to recognize the voice of conscience in this (and every situation we face), and to not allow our love for others to become idolatry or our desire for success to become narcissism.

                                    Although we may, from time to time or quite frequently, be caught in this snare of the enemy (the snare of self-love which is pride), and may be sorely lacking in clear Orthodox perspective in one way or another (according to our measure of faith) sometimes not even noticing when we are guilty of idolatry, these spiritual illnesses (and all others) can (according to our Holy Fathers) be recognized and treated (with the help of our spiritual 'physicians'). And in general, I don't think it has to be terribly difficult or too much of a struggle for Christians to see for themselves and to teach their children about the harmfulness to the soul of the 'secular way' and how to avoid this 'broad path'. There cannot be a formula, though, or any step by step instructions for everyone to follow which will guarantee success, since we each have to find our own way. But our merciful Lord, out of His love for mankind, has already done the hard work for us, has He not? Not only has He provided the way for our salvation, He has given us everything we need for success in our struggle (against sin), even in these times. He has sent us the Comforter, given us the holy sacraments, and countless examples of holy lives in the saints. He’s even shown us (in part) the reward that awaits the faithful who endure to the end.

                                    And no doubt, we need constantly to remind ourselves and our children that there is something far greater to be had in our holy faith (in the church) than what the world offers. We need to prepare our kids (by preparing ourselves) to be self-denying (as our Saviour demonstrated) rather than self-loving. And we ourselves can be assured and promise our children that if we determine to strive courageously in that holy struggle (not necessarily exclusively, but ‘first and above all else’) we won’t be disappointed. That is a promise the world cannot make...

                                    Perhaps the real difficulty for Orthodox Christians today lies in being so fearful; fearful of the world, sin and the enemy; fearful that we and our children won't find that 'true success'. Forgetting that our Saviour came for the sick (not the healthy) we tend to ‘blame’ our fallen world for our own spiritual sickness, when in reality, there are no excuses for any of us, and least of all for us Christians. There are many temptations facing all of us all the time but we don’t have to be afraid. (Our Lord who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. Our Lord is Love and love casts out fear). Yes, it's true, we will probably fall and probably have to watch our children fall. Our children may not always heed our warnings nor believe us when we tell them that the world's promise of happiness through worldly success is empty and fleeting at best. We cannot force our children to desire salvation over worldly pleasures. And although we can influence them to make good decisions, they must come to a place where they decide for themselves to turn from sin, seek salvation and consciously struggle for it, and no amount of sheltering them from the world will make that happen. But just as babies learn to walk after falling many times, so can we and our children learn to walk in the faith, if we desire, despite the many evils in us and around us. If we pray, and even if our children suffer a great fall, God will not let them fall away completely or forever, even if we ourselves are but a poor example for them and have not yet reached that 'higher goal’.

                                    With love,

                                    Charlotte

[...]

                                  • Mary Bockman Lytle
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 21, 2007
                                      Holy Father, Bless!

                                      Always suspicious of such sensational statements as "43.4 percent of
                                      teenage girls in the United States said their primary career goal
                                      was 'celebrity assistant'", especially when someone is trying to sell
                                      a book, I thought I'd check into Halpern's survey, which was the
                                      basis for his FAME JUNKIES. Halpern's description of the survey
                                      follows below and is worth reading.

                                      Jesus told His disciples, "If any man will come after me, let him
                                      deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For
                                      whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose
                                      his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man
                                      advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast
                                      away?" (Luke 9:23-25).

                                      When someone believes that created things are capable of taking care
                                      of his life, as many of the respondents of Halpern's survey
                                      apparently do, greed -- not God -- becomes the driving value in his
                                      life. Idolatrous greed -- devotion to oneself, striving to acquire
                                      reputation, status, social contacts, power, wealth, posessions, and
                                      fame -- is the age-old scourge of fallen man.

                                      "Where do we as Orthodox Christians fit in this idolatrous world?" We
                                      don't.

                                      "How do we protect ourselves and our children from drinking from the
                                      narcissistic loony water that is all around us?" We are examples to
                                      our children of a God-centered life. We teach them not only by our
                                      words, but by our deeds, that our labors are devoted to God's glory,
                                      not our own; that the fruits of our labors are the outpouring of
                                      God's blessings, not our own achievement. They will learn by our
                                      example that God -- not reputation or status or social contacts or
                                      power or wealth or posessions or fame -- is the Source of everything
                                      we need in this world and the next.

                                      In the love of our Saviour,
                                      Mary Beth Lytle

                                      ___________________

                                      THE FAME SURVEY . . .

                                      As part of my research for Fame Junkies, I teamed up with several
                                      academics and conducted a survey of some 650 teenagers in the
                                      Rochester, New York, area. The survey yielded some interesting and
                                      disturbing findings on how teens think about fame. Some highlights
                                      are included below. Detailed information on how exactly this survey
                                      was administered is included at the bottom of this page.

                                      OVERVIEW:
                                      [1] I'd rather be famous than smart . . .
                                      [2] Jennifer Lopez is more popular than Jesus . . .
                                      [3] Forget being president of Harvard – Make me a celebrity personal
                                      assistant . . .
                                      [4] Black kids are more desperate for fame . . .
                                      [5] Teens who watch TV and read "glam mags" want and expect fame the
                                      most . . .
                                      [6] Heavy TV-watchers are especially likely to believe fame will
                                      improve their lives . . .
                                      [7] Lonely and depressed kids hope that fame will solve their
                                      problems . . .
                                      [8] Lonely kids are also more likely to follow the lives of
                                      celebrities . . .
                                      [9] Lonely kids prefer 50 Cent and Paris Hilton to Jesus . . .
                                      [10] Kids believe that celebrities deserve their fame . . .

                                      [1] I'd rather be Famous than Smart . . .
                                      In one of the questions in the survey, teens were given the option
                                      of "pressing a magic button" and becoming stronger, smarter, famous,
                                      or more beautiful. As it turns out, boys in the survey chose fame
                                      almost as often as they chose intelligence, and girls chose it more
                                      often.

                                      [2] Jennifer Lopez vs. Jesus . . .
                                      As part of the survey, students were asked to choose which famous
                                      person they would most like to have dinner with. There were a range
                                      of options including "none of the above." Among the girls who opted
                                      for the dinner, the least popular candidates by far were President
                                      Bush (2.7%) and Albert Einstein (3.7%). Far ahead of them were Paris
                                      Hilton and 50 Cent (both at 15.8%), who tied for third place. Second
                                      place went to Jesus Christ (16.8%) and the winner was Jennifer Lopez
                                      (17.4%).

                                      [3] Forget being President of Harvard – Make me a Celebrity Personal
                                      Assistant . . .
                                      Another question asked: "When you grow up, which of the following
                                      jobs would you most like to have?" There were five options to chose
                                      from and, among girls, the results were as follows: 9.5% chose "the
                                      chief of a major company like General Motors"; 9.8% chose "a Navy
                                      Seal"; 13.6% chose "a United States Senator"; 23.7% chose "the
                                      president of a great university like Harvard or Yale"; and 43.4%
                                      chose "the personal assistant to a very famous singer or movie star."
                                      It's worth noting: Research psychologists, like Robert Cialdini at
                                      Arizona State University, have long suspected that people with low-
                                      self esteem are the ones most likely to "bask in the reflected glory"
                                      of others. This appears to be true here. For example, among girls who
                                      indicated that they received bad grades in school (i.e., C's or
                                      below), the percentage who opted to become assistants rose to 67%.
                                      What's more, among both boys and girls who got bad grades – and who
                                      described themselves as being unpopular at school – the percentage
                                      who opted to become assistants rose further to 80%.

                                      [4] Black Kids Are More Desperate for Fame . . .
                                      African American kids were especially keen on becoming famous. When
                                      asked whether they would rather become famous, smarter, stronger, or
                                      more beautiful, 42% of them opted for fame whereas only 21% of whites
                                      did so. What's more, almost 44% of African Americans said that their
                                      families would love them more if they became famous, while only 27%
                                      of white students said so.
                                      It's Worth Noting: Of course, there are many ways to explain
                                      this data, but one factor to be considered is that African American
                                      kids often have especially hard childhoods. According to a 2005
                                      article in the New York Times, two-thirds of black children are born
                                      out of wedlock and nearly half of those children who live in single-
                                      parent households are poor. All of this seems to suggest that
                                      hardship may be driving many African American kids to embrace fame as
                                      a remedy to their woes.

                                      [5] Teens who watch TV and read "glam mags" want and expect fame the
                                      most . . .
                                      According to the study, teenagers who regularly watch certain
                                      celebrity-focused TV shows – namely Entertainment Tonight, Access
                                      Hollywood, and Insider – are more likely to believe that they
                                      themselves will someday become famous. The same trend appears to be
                                      true for those teenagers who read celebrity-focused magazines like US
                                      Weekly, Star, People, Teen People, YM and J-14. There is also a
                                      strong correlation between how many hours of television that
                                      teenagers watch in general and how badly they want to become famous.
                                      One of the questions on the survey asked: "If you could push a magic
                                      button that would change your life in one way, which of the following
                                      would you pick?" The options were (a) becoming smarter, (b) becoming
                                      much bigger or stronger, (c) becoming famous, (d) becoming more
                                      beautiful, and (e) my life doesn't need any changing. Among those
                                      teens who watched one hour of television a day or less, only 15% of
                                      the boys and 17% of the girls opted for fame. But among those teens
                                      who watched five hours or more a day – and a good number of them did –
                                      29% of the boys and 37% of the girls opted for fame.
                                      It's worth noting: Admittedly, it's unclear whether these TV shows
                                      are to blame, or whether the kids are opting to watch these shows
                                      because they already believe that they're destined for fame. There is
                                      evidence, however, that some TV shows are to blame. One question in
                                      the study asks: When you watch TV shows or read magazine articles
                                      about the lives of celebrities, how do they make you feel? A number
                                      of teens commented that such stories made them feel like they could
                                      and would become famous. One wrote: "When I watch TV shows or read
                                      magazine articles about the lives of celebrities, this makes me feel
                                      like one day I will probably be in their shoes." Another wrote: "They
                                      make me feel like one day I'll be there on the magazine, talking or
                                      telling people about my life."

                                      [6] Heavy TV-watchers are especially likely to believe that fame will
                                      improve their lives . . .
                                      Findings from the survey also suggest that teenagers who watch
                                      television frequently are more likely to believe that fame will
                                      improve their lives. For example, teens who watch five hours or more
                                      of television a day are significantly more likely than those who
                                      watch just an hour or less to agree with the statement, "Becoming a
                                      celebrity [will] make you happier." Teens who watch five hours of
                                      television or more a day are also twice as likely as those who watch
                                      an hour or less to believe that their family will love them more if
                                      they become a celebrity.

                                      [7] Lonely and depressed kids hope that fame will solve their
                                      problems . . .
                                      According to the Rochester survey, there is some compelling evidence
                                      that children who feel lonely, depressed, and under-appreciated are
                                      more likely to seek fame in the hopes that this will make them
                                      happier or better liked. For example, teens who described themselves
                                      as often or always "depressed" were more likely than others to
                                      believe that becoming a celebrity would make them happier. Teenagers
                                      who described themselves as feeling "lonely" were also more likely to
                                      believe that fame would make a positive impact on their lives –
                                      though the results were slightly different for boys and girls. Lonely
                                      boys were more likely to reply that fame would simply make
                                      them "happy," whereas lonely girls were more likely to answer that
                                      fame would make them better liked by kids at school.
                                      Ultimately, some of the most compelling evidence about the
                                      relationship between loneliness and the desire for fame comes from
                                      question #20 on the Rochester survey, which asked: "If you suddenly
                                      became a celebrity – like a movie star or a rock star – what would be
                                      the best thing about being famous?" The answer for a number of teens
                                      was simply companionship. "If I was to become famous, people would
                                      probably think I was sooo cool and they would all want to be my
                                      friend," wrote one participant. "A lot more people would notice me
                                      and my friends might want to be with me more," wrote another. "I
                                      would have a lot of friends and I would have a lot of really, really,
                                      really nice clothes," wrote a third.

                                      [8] Lonely kids are also more likely to follow the lives of
                                      celebrities . . .
                                      There is also evidence from the Rochester survey that lonely
                                      teenagers are especially susceptible to forming para-social
                                      relationships with celebrities. Boys who described themselves as
                                      lonely were almost twice as likely as those who said they weren't
                                      lonely to endorse the statement: "My favorite celebrity just helps me
                                      feel good and forget about all of my troubles." Meanwhile, girls who
                                      described themselves as lonely were almost three times as likely as
                                      those who said they weren't lonely to endorse that statement.

                                      [9] Lonely kids preferred 50 Cent and Paris Hilton to Jesus . . .
                                      Another interesting phenomenon emerged in a question that asked teens
                                      whom they would most like to meet for dinner: Jesus Christ, Albert
                                      Einstein, Shaquille O'Neil, Jennifer Lopez, 50 Cent, Paris Hilton, or
                                      President Bush. For boys who said they were not lonely, the clear
                                      winner was Jesus Christ. For those who described themselves as
                                      lonely, however, Jesus finished at the back of the pack and 50 Cent
                                      was the clear winner. A similar trend exists for girls who feel
                                      underappreciated by their parents, friends, and teachers. These girls
                                      tended to favor having dinner with Paris Hilton, whereas those girls
                                      who felt appreciated were far more likely to opt for dinner with
                                      Jesus Christ. It's hard to know exactly what explains these results,
                                      but one interpretation would be that lonely and underappreciated
                                      teens are especially desperate to befriend the ultimate popular guy
                                      or girl.

                                      [10] Kids Believe that Celebrities Deserve their fame . . .
                                      In the Rochester survey, teenagers were asked to choose the most
                                      likely explanation of why certain celebrities were so successful.
                                      There were a number of options including luck, innate talent, hard
                                      work, and even the possibility that the entertainment industry simply
                                      decides to turn certain people into stars. Of these options, however,
                                      more teenagers chose "hard work" than all of the other options
                                      combined.

                                      Details on Exactly How this Survey Was Administered . . .

                                      I. The Basic Information
                                      Jake Halpern and Professor Carol M. Liebler of Syracuse University
                                      wrote a survey containing 32 questions, most of which were related to
                                      fame and pop culture. Copies of this survey were distributed to a
                                      total of 653 students at three different schools in and around
                                      Rochester, New York. The students were 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th
                                      graders. Meredith Hight, a graduate student at Syracuse's Newhouse
                                      School of Public Communications, input this data into an SPSS
                                      database. Summary responses were tabulated by Professor Elaine Allen
                                      at Babson College. Professor Grant segmented the results by
                                      demographic information and by several key variables including
                                      loneliness and amount of television viewing among others. Analyses
                                      were examined using chi-squared statistics, with results having a p-
                                      value less than 0.05 determined to be statistically significant.
                                      (Statistical Significance implies that there is a relationship
                                      between the categories that were being compared.) For good measure,
                                      these results were then reviewed and confirmed by Professor Richard
                                      McGowan at Boston College. In text below, the details and methodology
                                      of this study are explained.

                                      II. Why Rochester, New York?
                                      In 2004, Josh Herman – who works for a company called Acxiom –
                                      authored his "Mirror on America" study, in which he ranked those
                                      cities whose consumer demographics most closely reflect that of the
                                      U.S. as a whole. Herman did this by using a system called Personicx,
                                      which analyzes demographic information such as age, marital status,
                                      home ownership, number of children, estimated income, net worth
                                      and "urbanicity" (i.e., whether you live in the city, suburbs, or
                                      countryside). Using this method, Herman compiled a list of those 150
                                      metropolitan areas whose demographics are the best "mirrors" of
                                      America as a whole. In September of 2004, Rochester, New York, ranked
                                      second on the list.
                                      For the most part, Personicx is used by marketers who want to better
                                      understand the "consumer landscape" of a given city. Admittedly, for
                                      purposes of this survey, the Acxiom study it is not a perfectly ideal
                                      tool for measuring the comprehensive demographics of American cities –
                                      in the way that the U.S. Census Bureau does, for example – because
                                      it does not look at certain factors like race, national origin, or
                                      religion. Nonetheless, it does provide a strong indication of which
                                      cities are most quintessentially American, and Rochester is at the
                                      top of the list.

                                      III. Information on the Three Schools in Rochester, N.Y.
                                      Three different schools participated in this study, including one in
                                      the city of Rochester and two in the suburbs. Some basic information
                                      on each of these schools is provided below:

                                      1. Monroe High School (Rochester School District): There are 1,192
                                      students at this school. Surveys were given to 8th graders during
                                      class time. This school has a high percentage of poor and minority
                                      students. The total non-white population at Monroe High School is
                                      88.1%. The poverty rate at the school is 89.1%, which is defined by
                                      the percentage of students who are eligible for a free or reduced-
                                      price lunch.
                                      2. Twelve Corners Middle School (Brighton School District): There are
                                      865 students at this school. It is situated in Brighton, which is a
                                      suburb of Rochester. The surveys were given to 6-8th graders during
                                      class time in health and "home and career" classes. At this school,
                                      the demographics are as follows: 75.8% Caucasian/White, 10.4% Asian,
                                      6.8% Black/African-American, and 3.1% Latino.
                                      3. Willink Middle School (Webster School District): There are 1,100
                                      students at this school. It is situated in Webster, which is a suburb
                                      of Rochester. The surveys were given to 6-8th graders at the end of
                                      classes and during study halls. At this school, the demographics are
                                      as follows: 93.3% Caucasian/White, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.1% African
                                      American, 1.8% Asian.

                                      IV. Demographic Information on the Participants
                                      Of the 653 students who participated in the study, their demographic
                                      information is as follows:

                                      Gender: There were 312 Males, 310 Females, and 31 subjects who did
                                      not indicate their gender.
                                      Grade: There were 2 fifth graders, 76 sixth graders, 165 seventh
                                      graders, and 377 eighth graders.
                                      Race: There were 329 whites/Caucasians, 95 mixed, 62 black/African-
                                      American, 58 Hispanic/Latino, and 14 Native American.