Re: [hocna] Yoga Exercises

  • Euthymios Marston
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17 7:46 PM
      Father, Your warning re Yoga is, of course, extremely well-founded.  It is essentially a pagan spiritual practice, rooted in Far Eastern philosophy and occultism.  However, Yoga in all or most of its major forms is primarily Hindu, not Buddhist.  It is closely linked with idolatry.  Those schools of Buddhism which practice yoga, such as the Tibetan or Tantric, are also the most blatantly idolatrous.  Most Buddhists practice some sort of meditation, which is similar to some yogic practices, but not identical.  These may seem trivial points, but when we necessarily critique outsiders' errors, we should strive for accuracy.  Yoga exercises in this country are mainly a watered-down form of Hatha Yoga.  There is also TM, or Transcendental Meditation, with a number of milder offshoots, which is/was taught by a Yogi with an overtly idolatrous initiation ceremony.  As you have written, all forms of yogic practice should be avoided by Orthodox Christians.

                 Euthymios

      Would you Help a Child in need?
      It is easier than you think.
      Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/m.VolB/TM

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Do you Yahoo!?