Yoga Exercises

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2005
      I have been receiving many inquiries concerning "Yoga
      exercises" which today are very popular among the
      general public and have become part of the Physical
      Education program in most high schools.

      Most people in our North American cultural environment
      will accept any and every spiritual path, no matter
      how alien it may be to the Christian Faith.

      There is no doubt that Yoga is an integral part of the
      mental and physical disciplines and practices of
      Buddhism. Yoga is based on the philosophy that there
      is suffering in life and it is caused by mental
      defilements and the state of our ego. It puts forth a
      path of mental and physical practices in order to
      weaken and alleviate these tendencies of mind and ego
      which create individual pain.

      The physical postures of Yoga are used to prepare the
      mind and body to be more open to, understanding of,
      strong and disciplined enough to practice these
      teachings in their entirety. Yoga as exercise is the
      first level of this Buddhist path.

      The implementation of the various paths of Yoga brings
      about a change in one�s consciousness. States of
      consciousness that are already part of our being are
      accessed, strengthened and cultivated, step by step.
      These states are tranquility, concentration and
      mindfulness, among others. Yoga exercises are
      considered part of the path to true enlightenment.

      Orthodox Christians believe that only our Lord is the
      path to true enlightenment, "I am the way". Any other
      path that presents itself as a path to true
      enlightenment, is a dangerous threat that leads away
      from Christ. It does not teach "A Life in Christ". It
      offers an alternative to the "Life in Christ". The
      road that leads to a cliff is not an alternative. The
      only viable road is the one that will lead you safely
      to your destination.

      The practice of Yoga is contrary to the Faith of the
      Church and Orthodox Christians should avoid
      participation in such classes. If you have any
      comments or questions, just post them to our Egroup.

    • Euthymios Marston
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17, 2005
        Father, Your warning re Yoga is, of course, extremely well-founded.  It is essentially a pagan spiritual practice, rooted in Far Eastern philosophy and occultism.  However, Yoga in all or most of its major forms is primarily Hindu, not Buddhist.  It is closely linked with idolatry.  Those schools of Buddhism which practice yoga, such as the Tibetan or Tantric, are also the most blatantly idolatrous.  Most Buddhists practice some sort of meditation, which is similar to some yogic practices, but not identical.  These may seem trivial points, but when we necessarily critique outsiders' errors, we should strive for accuracy.  Yoga exercises in this country are mainly a watered-down form of Hatha Yoga.  There is also TM, or Transcendental Meditation, with a number of milder offshoots, which is/was taught by a Yogi with an overtly idolatrous initiation ceremony.  As you have written, all forms of yogic practice should be avoided by Orthodox Christians.

                   Euthymios

        Would you Help a Child in need?
        It is easier than you think.
        Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/m.VolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Do you Yahoo!?