Old Testament Course Begins

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2005

      The Orthodox Old Testament Course will begin on March 1, 2005.  This course has been divided into Units  and Sections

      The first unit is an introduction to the study of the Old Testament.  Since it is impossible to get more than a taste of the subject in a few weeks of study, we will concentrate on the major elements of the starting points.  It is hoped that the student will realize that the study of the word of God is a lifetime endeavour and that this unit only will offer starting points and direction.

      Our studies will be divided into three sections.  Each section will focus on a particular theme.  Section A will examine the Scriptural and Patristic teachings on the nature of the revelation of God's Will in the Old Testament.  We will also take a brief look at how Augustine, the bishop of Hippo, deviated from these teachings.

      The second section will introduce us to the use of the Old Testament as found in the New Testament.  The principles of Old Testament Exegesis were taught to us by our Lord and the Holy Apostles and continued by the Fathers of the Church.

      The final section will deal with the text of the Old Testament.  We will look at the questions and problems that Protestants have hurled at the Canon of the Old Testament and the Septuagint Greek Text used by the Church.

      The course will be completely on line and an Egroup has  created for this purpose.  To be able to access all the reading material and to take part in all the online discussions you must first register for the course at Old_Testament_Studies-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      You will receive further instructions once you have registered.

      Do you Yahoo!?