Lenten Encyclical of His Eminence, Metropolitan Ephraim

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2004

      THE HOLY ORTHODOX METROPOLIS OF BOSTON

      His Eminence, Metropolitan Ephraim of Boston

      THE LENTEN ENCYCLICAL OF HIS EMINENCE
      Ephraim, Metropolitan of Boston

      In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

      The surprise came in the night. The “telegram” arrived at 1:30 in the morning. It said, “Prepare yourself. The time is almost here.” It was a gentle message, and one not completely unanticipated. It was a continuation of a family tradition. The “telegram” was from God and it was a mild stroke, which left my right side initially paralyzed. And it came as predicted — like a thief in the night.

      But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken into.
      [Matt. 24:43]

      But the one who comes unexpectedly is not only the thief. Every year at Holy Week we chant compunctionately

      Behold, the Bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night.

      The hymns of the Holy Lent, my beloved Orthodox Christians, have this primary purpose: to remind us of the One Who comes unexpectedly, like “telegrams” from God. These hymns were composed by saints of God who had this particular reminiscence always in their hearts. Everything we do in life should be done having that one specific “visit” in mind.

      As I said above, the stroke was a mild one. Strokes that have afflicted other people oftentimes kill them immediately; others paralyze or blind people; others confuse people mentally; and yet others leave people unaffected for the most part. But they can come repeatedly. This one came from One Who is merciful. May His Name be blessed

      Forgive me and pray for me. Due to circumstances beyond my control, and because I do not have easy access to my sources at present, I am not in a position to say more to you at this time. May you have a holy Lent and a joyous Pascha.

      Your fervent suppliant unto God,

      X Ephraim, Metropolitan of Boston

      Great Lent 2004

      Protocol Number 2314