Sts. Peter and Paul Mission
Saints Peter and Paul Mission Acquires a Church
SAINTS PETER AND PAUL MISSION, in Tucson, Arizona, at long last has its own church, dedicated to the Chief Apostles in memory of Archpriest John Bockman.
Founded circa 1990 in Brentwood, Tennessee, the community met for worship in a series of temporary quarters, and was served periodically by Father John, who at that time commuted
bimonthly from Ipswich, Massachusetts.
In 1992 Father was assigned to the mission as its priest. Shortly thereafter, Presbytera Valerie retired from her professorship at Salem State College, and Father and she moved to Brentwood, where the chapel was established in their home. As the Bockman home changed locations from Brentwood to Topsfield, Massachusetts, to Tucson, Arizona, so, of course, did the mission. Since Father John's repose in November of 2000, the mission has been served by Metropolitan Moses and the clergy of the Metropolis of Seattle.
On March 3, 2003, the mission acquired a home of its own at 1415 East Broadway, the main east-west artery of Tucson, which provides excellent access and visibility. It is about a mile
and a half from downtown Tucson, five blocks from the University of Arizona, and only a mile from its most recent home. God has indeed blessed the mission with an ideal location.
The house is a 1928 "fortress" of brick-stucco on a volcanic rock foundation, with new plumbing, wiring, and high capacity heating/cooling. It has an almost-new roof in excellent condition, a small kitchen, a 3/4 bath, and room for parking in back. Originally a duplex, and having been remodeled for offices, the building will require some moderate modification for use as a church.
Fast action had to be the order of the day on this property. Surprisingly, there had been little interest in it throughout its three months on the market, despite the high demand for, and low supply of, housing. But on the very day the mission's offer was accepted, suddenly there were potential buyers galore, including one with cash in hand. Had the mission made its offer even one day later, it would not have gotten the property.
With the acquisition of a building, and despite the overworked clergy "pool," the mission has been pledged a monthly priest's visit, for which it is most grateful. May God grant it increase, and, some day, a permanent priest.
Donations to help the mission with the debt retirement and modification and furnishing of this new church, in memory of Father John, may be made to:
SS. Peter and Paul Orthodox Mission
P.O. Box 42816
Tucson, Arizona 85733-2816
Web site — http://www.sspp-tucson.org
May God reward your generosity!
IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - Click Here