APPEAL FROM HOLY ASCENSION SKETE

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2003

      June 20, 2003

      Dear fellow Orthodox faithful and friends:

              Evlogite!

                  We are in the midst of a crisis at the Skete.  We are moving the Skete

      from Pennsylvania to Maine onto property already owned by and adjacent

      to the Holy Apostles' Hermitage there in York . The foundation is in place

      and the modular home we purchased is being set in place.

              However, we contracted a man recommended to us to construct a

      chapel for our Skete adjoining the house that is now being put together.

      We signed a contract with him after meeting with him and sent him the

       usual 1/3 down in order for him to purchase the materials needed to build

      the chapel.  That was $20,000.  He has since disappeared with our funds and

      we have tried every means possible to make contact with him, as have the

       police and other interested parties, including going to his home but to no

      avail -- he's not to be found.

      In the meantime, we are unable to move into the Skete until we are able

      to find another contractor to build the chapel which entails building

      access to the entrance of the house, which is otherwise impossible since

      the entrance by design is about 12' off of the ground.

      We have contacted other contractors.  All want more than the original bid.

      So, not only are we out the $20,000 that the initial contractor who fled defrauded

       us of, but we need to come up with about $30,000 more as well.

       We have enough in the bank to cover our daily expenses but no more and

      are appealing for assistance.

      Anything and everything will help and will be truly appreciated.

      Please keep us in your prayers.

      In Christ,

      Archimandrite Adrian

      Father Menas