Metropolitan Ephraim - Letter supporting our Churches in Georgi

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
                                                         September 27, 2002
      The Honorable Richard Miles
      U.S. Ambassador to Georgia
      Tbilisi, Georgia

      Dear Sir,

      From the Georgian town of Guria near the Black Sea, there
      have come to me reports from first-hand eyewitnesses of
      incidents of violence, destruction of private property, and verbal
      and physical abuse directed against innocent people, including
      children, who have broken no law. Specifically, these are
      Orthodox Christians who have separated themselves from the
      Patriarchate of Georgia because they do not consent to the
      Patriarchate's ecclesiastical policies. In other words, this is
      strictly a matter of their religious convictions. It has been
      reported to me that the above-mentioned acts of violence have
      been provoked and encouraged by clergy of the Georgian
      Patriarchate.

      These faithful are affiliated with us and they are, in fact, a
      mission of our Church. Furthermore, they are supported in their
      church work by funds sent from our Orthodox Christian
      institutions and parishes in the United States.
      I ask you to investigate this open violation of the rights of
      these innocent people. For more specific details about these
      incidents, I urge you to contact one Otari Babunashvili
      (
      wotar@...), a resident of Tbilisi who is fluent in
      English.
      Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

       I remain,
          Sincerely yours,
       + Metropolitan Ephraim of Boston