The Persecution & Martyrdoms of Lyons in 177AD

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2001
      During these days that are dominated by the pagan festivities that go
      on all around us, Satan tempts us with thoughts that focus on our
      feelings that we are social outcasts.

      The account of the Persecution & Martyrdoms of Lyons in 177AD is a great
      antidote for these temptations.

      The following is the prologue of this blessed account.

      We cannot accurately tell or describe in detail the magnitude of the
      distress in this region, the fury of the heathen against the saints, or
      the sufferings of the blessed Witnesses. For with all his strength the
      enemy fell upon us, giving us a foretaste of his future unrestrained
      activity among us. He used every means to familiarize and train his own
      subjects against the servants of God. Not only were we excluded from
      houses, baths, and the forum, but it was forbidden for any one of us to
      appear in any place whatsoever. But the grace of God acted as our
      general against him. It rescued the weak and set them as firm pillars,
      able through patience to bear up against the whole force of the
      assaults of the wicked one. These encountered him, enduring every form
      of shame and torture. They made light of their great sufferings. They
      hurried on to Christ, showing in reality that the "sufferings of the
      present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be
      revealed in us." First they nobly endured the evils heaped on them by
      the people,-namely, mockings, beatings, draggings, robberies, stonings,
      and imprisonments, and everything that an infuriated mob delights to
      inflict on those whom they consider bitter enemies. Then, being brought
      to the forum by the tribune of the soldiers and the rulers that had
      charge of the city, they were examined in the presence of the whole
      crowd. Having confessed, they were shut up in prison until the arrival
      of the governor.

      If you would like to read the whole account go to:
      http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/177-lyonsmartyrs.html