Prayer of Supplication in Time of Any Calamity

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001
      Saints Alexander John and Paul
      Patriarchs of Constantinople
      The New Martyrs of Serbia slain by the Papist Croatians during WWII
      August 30/ September 12, 2001

      Beloved Fathers and Brethren in Christ,
      In this time of national crisis, when tens of thousands of innocent
      victims have perished as a result of ruthless terrorist
      attacks in our national capital and in New York City, both His Grace
      Bishop Moses and I call upon you to say special
      supplicatory canons for the safety and welfare of our country and for
      all those in authority that they guide our country with
      wisdom, discretion and prudence through this time of crisis. In our
      homes we should also add prayers for those that died or
      were injured in these attacks.
      We are mindful of the fact that in one other time of calamity, that is
      to say, during the time of this nation’s Civil War,
      President Abraham Lincoln called upon the nation to observe a period of
      fasting, in order to call down God’s mercy on this
      country’s suffering peoples. Now that the feast of the Exaltation of the
      Precious Cross is approaching, we should be aware
      that many of our monastic communities observe a period of fasting from
      September 1 through September 13 in honor of the
      Precious Cross. In view of the calamitous events that occurred
      yesterday, both Bishop Moses and I urge you also to consider
      observing a special fast during the above-mentioned period of time, with
      special prayers and supplications, to draw God’s
      mercy upon us, and to seek His forgiveness in whatever we may have
      sinned as a nation; for there is no doubt whatsoever
      that, in these latter times, we have erred in many grievous ways as a
      country.
      May our Savior overlook our transgressions and protect this nation from
      further harm.

      Your fervent suppliants unto God,

      +Ephraim, Metropolitan of Boston
      +Moses, Bishop of Roslindale
      O Lord Who alone art rich in mercy, and in the lovingkindness of Thy
      goodness dost hearken to the supplication of us,
      Thy sinful and unworthy servants, arranging and directing us all
      toward our benefit, guiding our life by Thy wise
      providence, and in every way desiring our salvation; Who by nature
      art long-suffering and great in mercy; Who dost
      chastise and healest again; Who dost rebuke gently and with love for
      man, not to destroy the work of Thy hands, but to
      bring it to its primal goodness and to its original nobility, which
      we have destroyed in the feebleness of our understanding
      and by the counsel of the most accursed one; Who desirest to restore
      it, and Who lookest how Thy mightest, in any way,
      save that which hath come to grief through the fall: Do Thou Thyself,
      O almighty Master, look down upon us, and hearken
      to the entreaties of us sinners. For the multitude of our iniquities
      hath rendered us bereft of boldness; nor do we in anywise
      dare to ask forgiveness for our transgressions. But knowing Thy love
      for mankind, Thy lovingkindness, Thy surpassing
      mercy, long-suffering, guilelessness and exceeding great goodness,
      and trusting in the depth thereof, and in the abyss of Thy
      beneficence, we lift up our hands and fervently cry aloud to Thee: We
      have sinned, we have committed iniquities, we have
      dealt unjustly, in that we have forgotten Thy commandments, and have
      followed after our wicked thoughts, and have lived
      in a manner unworthy of the name and Gospel of Christ, and His
      sufferings, and His self-abasement for our sake, so that we
      have become a reproach unto those who love Thee. Thy priests and Thy
      people have we astonished, and we have all
      turned aside and are become unprofitable: there is not one who
      rendereth justice and righteousness, no not one. We have
      cut off Thy compassions, Thy love for mankind, and the lovingkindness
      of the mercy of Thee our God, because of our
      malice and the wickedness of the undertakings whereby we have lived.
      Thou art long-suffering; but we deserve
      scourgings. We know Thy goodness, even though we are ignorant. We
      have been stricken lightly considering those things
      wherein we have offended. Thou art awesome; who can withstand Thee?
      Thou makest the mountains to quake; and who
      can speak against the magnitude of Thine arm? If Thou wilt shut up
      heaven, who will open it? And if Thou wilt close Thy
      floodgates, who will survive it? An easy matter is it in Thine eyes
      to make poor and to enrich, to give life and to slay, to
      afflict with illness and to heal: Thy least wish is a deed already
      accomplished. Thou hast become wroth, and we have
      committed offense; none of the ancients speaketh, confessing. Time
      is against us saying: We have sinned, and Thou hast
      become angered against us; wherefore, we have become a reproach to
      our neighbors. Thou hast turned Thy face away, and
      we have filled ourselves with dishonor. But still Thy wrath, O Lord;
      absolve, O Lord; have mercy, O Lord, and forsake us
      not utterly because of our iniquities, neither punish Thou others
      with our wounds. Grant that we may become chaste
      through the sufferings of others. We are they? Nations which know
      Thee not and kingdoms which submit not to Thy rule.
      But we are Thy people and the rod of Thine inheritance. Wherefore,
      chastise us, though in goodness and not in Thine ire,
      that Thou mayest not cause us to diminish, lest we become abased more
      than all who live on the earth; for Thy mercy is
      ineffable, Thy love of mankind is insuperable, and the wealth of Thy
      goodness is incalculable; and, trusting therein, we
      pray and make supplication, bending the knees of our hearts: Cease
      Thou to cut us with the edge of Thy wrath, we beg
      Thee earnestly, as of old, in David?s time, Thou didst act toward Thy
      people, if we show due repentance; but as Thou art
      all-good, put aside Thine anger and quell Thou Thy just wrath, and
      grant health to those who are suffering, strength to those
      who are enfeebled, and preserve them in good health. Drive every
      ailment and disease from Thy people; free all from the
      expectation thereof, keeping them unassailed by their former
      infirmity, and by Thine almighty arm maintain them untouched
      by this cruel misery and pernicious affliction: for truly the raging
      of Thy wrath hath shaken and troubled us all. And though
      we are not turning in every way from our wicked deeds, yet do Thou
      Thyself deliver us all from an evil conscience, and
      grant that we may be well-pleasing unto Thee in every good work.
      Through the supplications of the pure Mother of God,
      the Ever-virgin Mary, who gave birth unto Thee without having known
      man, and by the intercession of the holy angels who
      gaze upon God, and of all the saints. Exclamation: For Thou art
      the well-spring of mercy and the inexhaustible abyss of
      lovingkindness, and we send up glory unto Thee, and Thine unoriginate
      Father and Thine all-holy, good and life-creating
      Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. People: Amen.

      Translated from the Church Slavonic by the reader Isaac E.
      Lambertsen, from The Euchologion, Vol. I (Moscow: Synodal
      Press, 1902), pp. 232a-235a.
      Copyright © 1998. All rights reserved by the translator.