Re: [hocna] ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE UNITED IN FAITH WITH ROME

  • Fr Michael Azkoul
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2000
      Dear Fr Panagiotes,
      The logic of opposition to ecumenism is so simple that anyone with a
      modicum of reason can understand it. There can be no "unity of Christians"
      unless there is a "unity in truth." Since the Orthodox Church and Roman
      Catholicism do not have the same Faith, there cannot be a "unity" between
      them. We have different conceptions of God, of Christ, of the Church and
      her Mysteries, a different spirituality. One of us is right and one wrong:
      and the one who is right is the Church. "There is one Body, and one Spirit,
      even as you are called in the hope of your calling: one Lord, one Faith, one
      Baptism" (Eph. 4:4). Likewise, we cannot pray together because common
      prayer presupposes common faith ---- "the law of faith is the law of
      worship." There is a certain irony in calling for "unity" in Christ
      contrary to words of the Lord that they who worship God must "worship Him in
      spirit and in truth."
      Fr Michael