An Open Letter to the Green Party of Louisiana

  • Romi Elnagar
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 9:03 PM
      Dear members of the Green Party of Louisiana, and IC co-chairs,

      It is with a very heavy heart and deep reservations that I write this letter.  I have been trying to decide what to do for some time, and I regret very much that I have to say what I am about to say.

      It seems like the Green Party of Louisiana barely exists any more.  I cannot express how unhappy this makes me.  I remember very well the joy I felt eight years ago when Malik Rahim, Leenie Halbert, myself, and several other people gathered here in Baton Rouge (at my home, in fact) and took signatures to the Louisiana Secretary of State, signatures that had been so carefully garnered by so many dedicated people from a thousand hopeful Greens.  On that day, the Green Party of Louisiana was certified as having MAJOR PARTY status here in Louisiana.

      The future for the GPL looked bright indeed.

      But it was not to be.  At the end of the very same month in which we attained Major Party status, Hurricane Katrina decimated New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.  Many of our members scattered, and the Party has barely functioned since.  We have ceased even to talk and plan for an annual convention.

      For a time, in the confusion following Katrina, I took on the role of Acting Secretary, but I was glad and relieved when that someone was elected to that post.  I hoped it was a sign that we were regaining our strength as a Party.  Now, I write to that person and my messages go unanswered.  My messages to the State Party Chairman also go unanswered.  Staroyo and a couple of other people communicate with me regularly on the LaGreens Discussion list, but aside messages from a few truly dedicated people, I do not feel that there is much "energy" in the GPL.

      During this entire time, I have "served" on the International Committee of the USGP, to which I was elected.  I have continued in that position, but I have increasingly felt that I am representing no one but myself.

      I cannot continue to do that.

      So, unless and until I hear from members of the GPL, I will no longer vote in the IC.  I want to continue to do what I can within the national and state Green Parties, but I need to hear from people here in Louisiana that we need a presence in the IC.

      Thank you for your time.

      Sincerely,
      Romi Elnagar