Fw: BREAKING

  • Romi Elnagar
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2012

      Greenpeace
      Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser
      Romi, I just wanted to give you an update on our activities in North Carolina. Just minutes ago, activists greeted employees at Duke headquarters with a message: We’re not going away until you clean up your act. Duke & its CEO Jim Rogers keep claiming they support using renewable energy, and yet they’re spending their time and money by investing in more dirty coal.

      We need to get 50,000 letters to Duke by tonight and we’re almost there. Send your message to Jim Rogers right now and tell him to dump dirty coal!
      Thanks, Robert

      If you can't access this link, go to
      https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1023

      --------------------

      Activists have taken a stand at a coal plant in North Carolina to send a message: Dirty energy is not the answer.

      Take Action!

      Help back up these activists by sending the same message yourself to Duke Energy CEO Jim Rogers right now.
                                   orange-red take action button
      Just moments ago activists took a stand at a coal-fired power plant in North Carolina.

      Duke Energy is looking to acquire the company that owns the plant, Progress Energy. If the deal goes down, Duke will not only be the largest utility in the country but also one of the dirtiest. That’s because both companies rely on destructive practices like mountaintop removal for getting their coal and neither is making very much progress toward renewable energy.

      These activists are there to send a clear message to Duke: Dirty energy is not the answer. But you don’t have to be at a coal plant to send the same message yourself.

      Help back up the activists and help us reach our goal of 50,000 letters to Duke CEO Jim Rogers in the next 48 hours by sending the same message yourself right now.

      Companies like Duke know they can do better and have invested a lot of money in convincing the public they are. Jim Rogers himself recently acknowledged that his company and other utilities are in a “unique position...to deploy solutions, to raise the capital and not raise the national debt, to do it at scale...”

      Unfortunately, their behavior doesn't match that rhetoric. Duke continues to rely on dirty old coal plants like the one these activists are at today in North Carolina. Polluting the air, destroying mountains, poisoning the water and killing the climate in the process.

      And Duke’s planned merger with Progress Energy seems to only be leading them down more dead ends -- more dangerous nuclear plants, more dirty biomass, and more coal-fired power plants. In other words, more global warming.

      Duke can make a different choice if they want to. But that will only happen if we call them out. That’s why activists have taken a stand today at a coal plant in North Carolina today to get the message across, and it’s why you should take a minute to deliver the same message yourself right now.

      Quit Coal,

      Robert Gardner
      Greenpeace Coal Campaigner
      Facebook    Twitter   YouTube
      Click here to forward this message.
      Greenpeace
      702 H Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20001 | 1-800-722-6995