My Resignation

  • les evenchick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16 9:50 AM
      To all Louisiana Greens,

      Just in case my messages yesterday were not clear or not received

      I have resigned as a delegate to the National Committee of The GPUS effective today 2/16/2010.

      Becuause the GPL's existence is tied to the GPUS, I am also planning to leave the GPL as well.

      The "last straw" for me was the defeat of the proposal #438 to have section by section voting on the GPUS Platform after the next Annual National Meeting. (All vote results can be found at GP.org)

      It was not the defeat itself but how a small minority manipulated the defeat (2/3rds for was required).

      But other reasons include the recent illegally (by GPUS Bylaws) conducted election for the GPUS Steering Committee, the maintaining of a secret list for discussion and some votes by the Steering Committe, the abuse of delegates who critize the existing leadership, and the campaign of lies against Elaine Brown when she tried to run as our Presidential Candidate in 2008.

      In addition, mandated reapportionment of delegate numbers was madated to occur last year and never was.

      It appears to me that there are 2 top down oriented factions that are competeing for poe in the GPUS and that the principles of Grassroots Democracy has gone down the drain.

      Now, there are a number of GPUS delegates who are sincere and well being but they are outnumbered by those that do not think for themselves and just go along with the "leaders" p- not a very green attitude to me.

      Given all this I see no real future for the GPUS and given the extreme weakness of our own state Party, I see no reason to spend further time trying to resurrect it.

      I will look to other means of fighting againt the corporate/capitalist domination of our country and our planet.

      Sorry friends. Wish you luck. but it will be without me.

      Fell free to write me at piratefish@...

      Les

      Les Evenchick, former delegate to the GPUS from the GPL
      New Orleans
      piratefish@...
    • Tim Ruppert
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17 10:23 AM
        Les,

        Thank you for all you've done and tried to do.  The GPL seemed to be on the climb until Hurricane Katrina, but without viable candidates and a party to support those candidates there is little that can be accomplished.  We will keep doing what we can and try to build positive momentum again.

        Keep me in your list of contacts.  If you do run for office again you'll have my support and vote.

        Peace,

        Tim

        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

        Fell free to write me at piratefish@yahoo. com

        Les

        Les Evenchick, former delegate to the GPUS from the GPL
        New Orleans
        piratefish@yahoo. com

      • les evenchick
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17 2:04 PM
          One of my problems with the GPL was that almost noone wanted to run for any office. And Malik's campaign greatly downplayed the Green Party, not even mentioning it in many ads.

          I offered to help prospective candidates with the technical aspects but with no takers.

          Then when one new green, Joe Alfone, wanted to run, no one would support him because of perceived problems in an earlier election.

          Between the extreme dysfunctionality of the GPUS and the inability of state greens to get anything done, I just think its better now to look to another way to fight the corporate US Govt.

          Thanks for your support.

          Les
          Les Evenchick
          New Orleans