Vigil for Peace

  • les evenchick
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2009
      October 18, 2009
      5:00 - 6:30
      Vigil for Peace:
      Exorcism of Spirit of War on 8th year of war on Afghanistan
      We gather near the fountain at the entrance of Audubon Park across from Loyola and Tulane Universities at 6300 St Charles Avenue. Musicians jam starting around 5:00, then they begin anti-Vietnam War songs of the Sixties like 'Where Have All the Flowers Gone', 'If I had a hammer', 'I ain't gonna study war no more' etc., joined by people using song-sheets. Anyone with an instrument may join the musicians in this on-the-spot combo.

      Sacred bell begins the ceremony at 5:30
      FATHER LOUIS ARCENAUX offers words of welcome and choral prayer
      CHUCK PERKINS performs poetry about post-Flood New Orleans as a call to hope with determination to renew our lives together and as a blessing on the spirit of renewal in the City
      ROBERT DESMARAIS SULLIVAN pronounces a formal renunciation of the spirit of war on this eighth anniversary of US attack on Afghanistan
      SISTER THERESA BILLEAUD leads a pledge in the spirit of Martin Luther King to creative non-violence and end of perpetual war
      Sacred bell ends the ceremony
      Bring your own drinks, desserts and dialogue

      You may want to watch ‘Fabled Enemies’ on the full story of September 11, 2001, to put the War on Afghanistan into perspective.

      Forwarded by:
      Les Evenchick
      New Orleans
      piratefish@...