Fwd: LSU / VA Alternatives

  • Julie Whitbeck
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 1:48 PM
      Fwd: LSU / VA Alternatives
      Hi folks -- Would the Orleans Green Party like to endorse this "call to action"?  I think it would be positive all around.

      --Julie

      Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:10:12 -0500
      Subject: Fwd: LSU / VA Alternatives
      From: derrick morrison <denbenphu@...>

      Folks, here's an appeal from Sandra of FHL, calling for public hearings on both hospital proposals. If you are part of an organization and can get it on board, do it.
      CALENDAR:
      WEDNESDAY, MAR 11, 6:30P, meeting of the Comm to Reopen Charity at CC's Coffee House, 2800 Esplanade. All are welcomed.
      FRIDAY, MAR 13, 5P, meet at Elysian Fields and St Claude to pass out flyers for Charity Hospital rally on the 21st.
      SATURDAY, MAR 14, 12:30P, meet at S.Broad and Canal to distribute flyers for the 21st in Lower Mid City and the St Claude corridor.
      Contact Derrick at 504 908 5310 for more info.
      Thanks, Derrick

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 2:36 PM

        Fellow OrleansGreens,

        I vote that we add our name to this call to action.

        I have looked into this issue, read a great deal of the media coverage, attended several meetings hosted by FEMA and the other stakeholders, and I’ve spoken to most of the activists challenging this “done deal.” Through it all, I’ve been perplexed by the illogical single-mindedness of the LSU and VA proponents that they MUST have the site that would displace so many residents and demolish so many homes. Their proposal has already done significant harm to that neighborhood because it created a moratorium on rebuilding permits following Katrina, which left people in limbo. Also, the LSU-VA proponents gave short shrift to any possibility of renovating their buildings on the downtown side of the interstate (the abandoned Charity and VA hospitals will most likely ADD to downtown blight for several years) and they did not properly consider the proposal to use the Lindy Boggs site (that had a single, willing seller as opposed to resorting to the extreme measure of eminent domain against over a hundred residents and businesses at the selected site).

        Many people who look into this issue come away with more questions regarding how our representatives made these seemingly irreversible decisions without proper input from the public. For those of us who care about democracy and transparency, this has been mightily disappointing. Furthermore, if this project goes forward, it would make a severe statement that any neighborhood in New Orleans—no matter its historical value—is vulnerable to the wrecking ball if some influential people decide it should be sacrificed for supposed economic development.

        By all means, the Orleans Greens should endorse this call to action.

        Mike Murphy

        Hi folks -- Would the Orleans Green Party like to endorse this "call to action"?  I think it would be positive all around.

        --Julie

        Attached is our "call to action" on the LSU / VA issue. Please let us know if your organization or neighborhood group is willing to put their name on the list. Please spread the documents to others. We would like to have a healthy list of groups at the bottom of this in a very short time.

        Thanks so much,

        Sandra Stokes

        Foundation for Historical Louisiana

        225-445-3800

        filename="CALL FOR EVALUATION OF HOSPITAL ALTERNATIVES. doc"
        X-Attachment- Id: 0.1

         --

        Julie Whitbeck

        jlwhitbeck@mac. com