"Send your love to Malik" - From GPUS affairs list

  • les evenchick
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2008
      --- On Thu, 11/6/08, rsnyder6@... <rsnyder6@...> wrote:

      From: rsnyder6@... <rsnyder6@...> Subject: Re: [usgp-dx] Send your love to Malik To: natlcomaffairs@... Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 11:00 PM Looks better not on this list.

      -Roger Snyder, GPNY

      ----- Original Message ----- From: rsnyder6@... Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008 11:58 pm Subject: Re: [usgp-dx] Send your love to Malik To: natlcomaffairs@...

      Wait! I thought we were done with all this election stuff?After Hurricane Gustav, the Louisiana Secretary of State pushed back the election dates. December 6, 2008 is the general election for District 2 Congress. Find out more at http://www.votemalik.comWhy Malik Rahim?He is one of the few people I have ever seen that made me think thathe should be a congressman, and that this country would be better offif he was.Don’t take my word for it. Here is how Amy Goodman described him in the first her most recent book, Standing Up to the Madness:Ordinary Heroes in Extraordinary Times:MalikRahim, a barrel-chested 59-year-old man with long gray dreadlocks thatarc down his back and chest, stands on a street corner in what remainsof the once vibrant African-American New Orleans neighborhood known asthe Lower Ninth War. A veteran community organizer and the formerdefense minister of the New Orleans chapter of the Black Panther Partyin the early
      1970’s, Rahim has thrown his share of punches and survivedmany battles . . . . All of which has been good training for the epicstruggle he is now engaged in: fighting for the right of poor andworking class residents of New Orleans to return home after beinguprooted by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005.What can one man do?Malik founded a number of organizations including:Co- founded Common Ground Health Clinic inSeptember 2005 with Sharon Johnson. After hurricane Katrina, it was thefirst health clinic in the city of New Orleans. The clinic enlistedemergency medics to run a first aid station and help develop apermanent health clinic. The clinic continues to offer free health carefor people without health insurance or means to see their healthprovider.Co- founded Common Ground Relief in September 2005,with Scott Crow and Brandon Darby. Since Hurricane Katrina, nearly13,000 volunteers have gutted over 3000 homes in the Ninth Ward of NewOrleans through their
      efforts.In 1984 helped found and operate the Algiers Development Center and Invest Transitional Housing, a program for ex-offenders which has housed more than one thousand former inmates.Founding member of the Louisiana anti-death penalty group Pilgrimage for Life, with Sister Helen Prejean.Founding member of Housing is a Human Right a San Francisco, California citywide non-profit affordable housing advocacy organization, in 1996Imagine what he could do in Congress.What has the Media said about Malik? Democracy Now!: New Orleans Community Organizer Malik Rahim Demands Inquiry into Hurricane Katrina Deaths and Amnesty for “Looters” ABC News: John Stossel Nola.com: City Fixers are the men, women and children bringing New Orleans back to life Washington Post: For a Former Panther, Solidarity After the Storm Democracy Now!: New Orleans Activist Malik Rahim Blasts Mayor Nagin PBS: Right to Return: New Home Movies from the Lower 9th Ward Yes Magazine:
      Malik Rahim: Spreading Common GroundWhat are the Issues in Malik’s Congressional race?Prison SystemHurricane Recovery & Flood ProtectionFederal governmentRebuild a Sustainable EconomyTroops out of IraqQuality Public EducationHealthcare for AllComprehensive and Sustainable Energy PolicyHow can I help?Contribute Online using Paypal Send your donation today. Individuals may contribute up to $2300. To contribute by mail print the donor form.Fill out the contact form and let us know if you can help by handing out flyers or other types of activitiesSign up for the Newsletter at the top of page at http://www.votemalik.com, to get updated on upcoming events and activities.Bonus: Malik Rahim giving a keynote address to the
      2008 Green Party Presidential Convention:

      http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7226475852159421918----- Original Message -----From: Wes Rolley Date: Thursday, November
      6, 2008 11:43 pmSubject: [usgp-dx] Send your love to MalikTo: "The natlcomaffairs (aka USGP-DX) listserv is used to discuss issues related to coordinated national actions and current issues." > There has never been a time when we more needed a winner. Malik > Rahim's > still running and needs all of the help that we can deliver, as > soon as > we stop discussing congratulating the winner on Tuesday. BTW: > McCain did it with more class that was show in most of his campaign.> > We have one month to get Malik into Congress. His opponent is a > crook. > Here is what someone posted on my California Greening Blog tonight.> > > I, too, have been following the New Orleans story. Tuesday was > the > > runoff election between two Democrats and the incumbent > Congressman > > William "Dollar Bill" Jefferson won the Democratic nomination. He is > > the notorious crook who get bribery money in his freezer. He > also bullied the National Guard into giving him special
      treatment during > > Hurricane Katrina. *Jefferson has the worst voting record of > the > > Congressional Black caucus.*> Folks, it is time to get to work. I sent Rahim a donation last > night. > Carol Brouillet, candidate in CA's 14th CD said that she would > empty her > campaign account into Malik's. We need more like Carol.> > I am fed up with all of the talk about Change in coming to > America. > Change won't come to NOLA until Jefferson is gone. So, are we > going to > keep on talking nonsense, or do we figure out how to help Rahim?> I have a personal goal of getting 1000 donations from > California. Don't > know how many yet, but I do know that there are more that Carol > and I. > We need to get word to every green list that any of us have > access to. > If you want more info:> > http://www.votemalik.com/ - Campaign web site.> http://www.votemalik.com/contribute/ - Contribution link.>

      http://cagreening.blogspot.com/2008/11/one-more-chance-to-change- america.html > - comments on my blog
      (referenced above).> http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/28442 - Citizens for > Responsibility and Ethics in Washington brief on Jefferson's > ethics case.> > -- > "Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you > don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente> > Wes Rolley> 17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037> http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel:

      http://gp.org/committees/nc/documents/delegate_change.html> To report violations of listserv protocol, write to > forummanagers@...-us.org> > For other information about the National Committee, see:> http://gp.org/committees/nc/>

      If your state delegation changes, please see:

      If your state delegation changes, please see: http://gp.org/committees/nc/documents/delegate_change.html