McKinney only 169 votes shy of 3rd Place in Louisiana!

  • Sean Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2008
      McKinney only 169 votes shy of 3rd Place in Louisiana!

      I'm sure many of us are happy to see Bush leaving office and Obama taking his place. Unfortunately, the better candidates were not given the chance to be heard. We can all agree this must be changed. The Green Party is about forward thinking, so let's reflect a moment on what Cynthia accomplished in our state.

      An impressive 9,184 voters in Louisiana voted Green, voted McKinney, and voted for the first all-women-of-color ticket for President and Vice President! Remember, Cobb earned 1,276 votes in 2004.

      Ron Paul received 9,353 votes as the 3rd place winner in Louisiana, so McKinney was only 169 votes short of 3rd place. In Orleans Parish alone, 989 people voted McKinney.

      How will we organize thousands of voters who voted for the Green Party ticket led by McKinney?

      Cynthia McKinney strongly promoted the Green Party in her campaign speeches, and despite the historically overwhelming opposition (an African American running on the major party ticket & a former Green candidate Ralph Nader) she showed a real presence in Louisiana.

      Imagine what we could accomplish as the Green Party if we were to gather together over 9,000 McKinney supporters in our state! A Green Party National Convention in Louisiana? A Louisiana movement for change?

      And those are just the people that voted McKinney. Many Obama and Nader voters ALSO strongly believe in the Green Party's platform. I believe many of these same voters will easily vote for a strong Green Party candidate in Louisiana.

      So how will we organize, what I believe is, over 15,000 people in our state who would be willing to support a political party based on peace and social justice in local and statewide elections? Will we be committed to meeting this year at a state convention to plan for these changes?

      Malik Rahim's candidacy is a start. This election season is NOT over.

      Take ideas you've learned from all the competing campaigns and lets make them work for the Green Party of Louisiana.
      We've got December 6th! http://www.votemalik.com

      Sincerely,
      Sean P. Clark
      Green Party of Louisiana, Secretary