New Orleans Action re: Bailout 10/1/2008

  • les evenchick
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 8:50 PM
      I urge support of this demo tommorrow --- Les

      Press Release: The Bailout, Wall Street & Labruzzo

      While being interviewed by Kyra Phillips on CNN Louisiana Representative John Labruzzo made the following statement: And with the, uh, $700 billion bailout I think the taxpayers of America are kind of getting fed up. Look we need people to go to work to help pull the wagon instead of generation after generation jumping into the wagon. This attempt by Labruzzo to link public assistance for the poor to the proposed bailout for Wall Street is a class example of scapegoating. Many people in this country are outraged at the prospect of funneling hundreds of billions of dollars of taxpayer money into an effort to prop up the sagging fortunes of Wall Street banks. The statement by Labruzzo is clearly seeking to divert widespread anger away from the politicians and bankers and towards the nation’s poor. The blame for the crisis facing America rests with this nation’s bankers and politicians, not with the nation’s poor. To suggest
      otherwise, as Representative Labruzzo does, is a slap in the face of the people who are baring the heaviest burden of the ongoing crisis, the working and middle classes.

      We, concerned citizens of Louisiana , will gather on Wednesday in front of the building housing the New Orleans Federal Reserve to hold a press conference to denounce both the proposed $700 billion dollar bailout for Wall Street and the Metairie legislator’s attempt to link the financial crisis to public assistance for the poor. We stand front and center for a federal bailout of the groups that collectively make up the vast majority of the victims of the crisis, the working and middle classes.

      PRESS CONFERENCE/PROTEST

      4:30PM Wednesday

      October 1, 2008

      525 St. Charles Avenue

      New Orleans, Louisiana.

      For additional information call Mike Howells at (504) 587-0080

      Sponsors: C3/Hands Off Iberville, May Day Nola, & Elizabeth Cook.

      Forwarde by:

      Les Evenchick
      New Orleans
      piratefish@...