Fwd: [northeastsds] Re: City Council Vote on New Orleans Demolition Turns Into Near Melee

  • les evenchick
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2007
      It should be noted that the City council is in session
      for a few more hours. Right now anti-demolition
      speakers have the floor.

      I have been watching on TV as I could not attend due
      to medical peoblems.

      The tassering and pepper spraying were shown on TV and
      was clearly excessive. A few protestors tried to get
      through a poorly secured gate. pepper spray was
      sprayed into the air and not at particular individuals
      so that dozens of protestors who were just stnding
      around were affected. in addition one young girl abot
      22 was tasered in the back and had a seizure according
      to attorney bill Quigley who was present. The young
      lady went into a seizure and was taken away to?.
      another was tasered in the front.

      Neither was inside the gate.

      from the films it appeared the total demonstrators
      numbered 100-200. Thery were outside the locked gate
      because supposedly the City council chambers were
      full.

      But Tracy Washington, also an attorney, pointed out
      that normally persons are allowed to stand along the
      walls of the city council meeting room(which hold 268
      seated}. But this time standees were not allowed.

      The message below asked for calls to the city council
      memebrs but calls to your congress persons are also
      needed and to any media you have contact with.

      Les