Algorithm-Designed Food

  • Marcus Winter
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007
      Meat is being grown in laboratories and at some point in the not-to-distant future humankind will be capable of eliminating crop land, fishing and the raising of animals for slaughter. Food will be algorithm-designed and, theoretically, such food can be "molecule for molecule" the same content as what we harvest from present day crops or meat/poultry from slaughtered animals or fish caught from bodies of water. I know many people, particularly greens, may cringe at this prospect, but I see algorithm-designed food as very likely gainful both environmentally and morally. Consider how much wildlife habitating land is converted to the growing of food crops - organic or otherwise. Consider how much pasture land is taken from wildlife to raise animals for slaughter. Consider, too, how all the animals we eat are raised in a confined, artificial environment - whose lives in the wild are never realized because they have been enslaved by the food demands of humankind. We are depleting the ocean, rivers, lakes of life so as to eat them - furthering a cycle of ever less earthly life and declining biodiversity. How many of you have considered what chickens were before they became a "food animal" for humankind or cows or sheep or any animal we raise on farms or ranches and ultimately slaughter? Algorithm-designed food has a remarkable nutritional potential, too, you might eat a steak & lobster dinner, with all the trimmings, an exotic dessert and consume no more fat, cholesterol or calories than is contained in a garden salad with no dressing. Potentially when your molecularly-designing a nutritional substance you can give it whatever taste & texture you want while leaving out unwanted calories, etc. Ultimately, in laymans terms, I'm suggesting a machine that you can put mud into at one end and pull out a healthy meal at the other end. Such a machine <(Quantum Computer Materializer) could produce any non-food item, too, and would liberate humankind from dependence on the earth's surface for survival, but that's a projection, beyond just algorithm-designed food, I will detail, if anyone in this group is interested. For now I would be interested in the reaction of this group to the prospect of eliminating farming, fishing and ranching as humankind currently knows it. Marcus