Mardi Gras: Sponsored by Wal-Mart?

  • Carl Webb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2005
      Mardi Gras: Sponsored by Wal-Mart?

      Cross-posted from Third Battle of New Orleans
      http://thethirdbattleofneworleans.blogspot.com/

      City administration officials announced the eight day
      parade plan for Carnival 2006. Although the expanded
      parade schedule gives all of us who love Carnival in
      New Orleans something to look forward to and plan for,
      the city has also asked for corporate sponsorship to
      defray the costs of the expanded schedule.

      Instead of first asking for volunteers from around the
      U.S. to come and help New Orleans for Mardi Gras 2006,
      the city immediately turned to the corporate world to
      solve our financial problems. Police, fire, garbage
      and other service employees from around the U.S. would
      have likely volunteered their time and equipment to
      come and help New Orleans pull off a full Carnival
      season this year, if asked.

      Instead we are going to forever alter the character of
      Mardi Gras in New Orleans by reaching out to our good
      corporate friends. I can't wait for Wal-Mart, Home
      Depot, ExxonMobil, CocaCola, AnheuserBush, etc. to get
      their hands on Carnival. I am sure the highlights will
      be banners on floats such as Bacchus brought to you by
      Trojan Condoms! and Tucks sponsored by Tucks!

      If you doubt the amount of change that could take
      place from corporate sponsorship, just turn on the
      Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and listen to Al Roker
      read off all types of corporate dribble as floats pass
      by their reviewing stand. It is pathetic and it could
      be our future.

      There is still a chance. To our city officials: Admit
      you made a mistake by suggesting corporate sponsorship
      can solve our problems this Carnival season. To
      everyone that loves Carnival in New Orleans: Write,
      call, and email people you know in other cities
      throughout the U.S. and start spreading the word that
      New Orleans needs volunteer police, fire and garbage
      workers for Carnival this year. The message we would
      truly be sending to all: Our traditions are not for
      sale at any price!