[UC] UPDATE- Stay Local! Moves Forward- 3/30/05

  • editor@urbanconservancy.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27 8:05 PM
      *The Urban Conservancy Biweekly (Sometimes sporadic) Update*
      March 30, 2005

      In this issue:

      *Stay Local! Moves Forward
      *News Roundup
      *Readers Write
      *Upcoming Events
      *Position Available with Greater New Orleans
      Literacy Alliance
      ---------------------------
      STAY LOCAL! MOVES FORWARD

      The Urban Conservancy is pleased to announce that
      Audrey Warren has joined the team as Program
      Coordinator for Stay Local!

      Learn more about Stay Local! and Audrey's plans --
      and how YOU can register your locally owned and
      managed business:

      http://www.staylocal.org/audrey.html

      ---------------------------

      TAKE IT TO THE NETWORK

      If you are reading this, then you know the power of
      organization and communication.

      Your neighborhood or other group can now take it online!
      The Urban Conservancy supports democratic control of
      neighborhoods by their residents. A critical part
      of democracy is the open sharing of communication.
      The Internet is a part of that communication process
      and can be a way of quickly and inexpensively sharing
      information related to your neighborhood.

      The Urban Conservancy has learned a number of lessons
      from our website and e-mail list which received the
      Gambit award for Best Activist Use of the Internet in
      2002. Now we want to share that knowledge with
      neighborhood groups and other organizations
      throughout the city for a price that is more
      economical than almost anywhere else.

      Learn More:
      http://www.ucno.org/projects/tech_training.html
      ---------------------------
      NEWS ROUNDUP

      *China's Big, Dirty Secret
      *A Bronx Community Force Dies
      *Union Loses Wal-Mart Vote
      *Critical Mass
      *Jolts Of Economic Juice

      Read them here:
      http://urbanconservancy.org/news/roundup033005.html

      ---------------------------
      TALK BACK!

      The Urban Conservancy encourages discussion
      of and response to everything we post on our
      Web site. We also welcome any tips or updates
      that are relevant to protecting New Orleans'
      greatest asset. Respond to us at
      editor@...

      ---------------------------
      READERS WRITE

      *The Firing of Elrhei
      *Restore City Park, Don't Develop It
      *Riverfront Vision
      *Bike Path Project Update

      Read them, critique them:
      http://urbanconservancy.org/news/letters033005.html

      ---------------------------
      UPCOMING EVENTS

      APRIL 8
      Women in Landscape Architecture Lecture
      Featured speaker, internationally acclaimed landscape
      architect Julie Bargmann, ASLA, will present “Toxic
      Beauties: The Art behind Landscape Architecture.”

      Julie Bargmann, with her on-going project, D.I.R.T.
      (Design Investigations Reclaiming Terrain), explores
      remediation and redevelopment work. While listening
      to clients, she embraces the need for education and
      interaction in all her rural and urban revitalization projects.
      She creatively invites communities to reinvest in the
      landscape around them. By venturing into Brownfield’s
      and hoping to regenerate what most would call urban
      decay, Bargmann has helped to rebuild both American
      and international revitalization of tired towns and vacated
      cities. In the Playhouse at Longue Vue House and
      Gardens at 6:00 p.m. followed by a reception. This event
      is open to the public. Admission to the lecture is free;
      Advance registration is required. For reservations, call
      504-488-5488, ext. 913 or info@...

      ---------------------------
      POSITION AVAILABLE WITH LAGNO

      Position: Project Manager for REALi
      Salary Range: Mid $30’s with full benefits
      Employment type: One year full time, renewable depending on
      availability of funds
      Assignment Location: New Orleans with frequent local travel,
      and the possibility of out of state trips. Position requires access
      to personal vehicle.

      Qualifications
      • Masters-level preparation in relevant field (management,
      education, psychology, or other applicable field) or a bachelors
      degree in relevant field with 3-5 years of experience

      • Very strong oral and written communications skills required

      • Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously

      • Ability to be productive and focused with limited direct supervision and
      support

      • Experience working with diverse groups to achieve identified goals

      Please send CV, cover letter, and salary history by April 8, 2005 to:

      Literacy Alliance of Greater New Orleans
      Attn: REALi Project Manager
      6363 St. Charles Ave, Box 63
      New Orleans, LA 70118

      The Urban Conservancy
      http://www.ucno.org

      Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their
      reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those
      who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in
      the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out,
      avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their
      advocates, and bear the consequences.
      -Susan B. Anthony